Benzalkonium Chloride LiquidGeneric Name:
Benzalkonium Chloride (BEN-zal-KOE-nee-um klor-ide)Brand Name:
Generic only. No brands available.
Benzalkonium Chloride Liquid is used for:
Treating cold sores and fever blisters. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Benzalkonium Chloride Liquid is a topical antiseptic. It works by killing sensitive germs.
Do NOT use Benzalkonium Chloride Liquid if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Benzalkonium Chloride Liquid
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Benzalkonium Chloride Liquid:
Some medical conditions may interact with Benzalkonium Chloride Liquid. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have deep wounds or puncture wounds, animal bites, or serious burns
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Benzalkonium Chloride Liquid. However, no specific interactions with Benzalkonium Chloride Liquid are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Benzalkonium Chloride Liquid may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Benzalkonium Chloride Liquid:
Use Benzalkonium Chloride Liquid as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Benzalkonium Chloride Liquid is for external use only. Do not get it in your eyes or nose.
- Wash the affected area with warm water and a washcloth to remove any cosmetics (eg, lipstick), lotions, ointments, or other lip preparations.
- Prepare Benzalkonium Chloride Liquid for use according to the directions on the label.
- Apply the medicine by rubbing the affected area firmly with the applicator tip. Be careful not to damage the skin. Throw the applicator away after use.
- Wash your hands immediately after using Benzalkonium Chloride Liquid.
- Do not brush your teeth or drink soft drinks or fruit juices for at least 1 hour after you use Benzalkonium Chloride Liquid.
- If your symptoms get better but return later, you may use another dose. Do not use more than 3 times per day.
- If you miss a dose of Benzalkonium Chloride Liquid, use it as soon as you remember. Continue to use it as directed by your doctor or on the package label.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Benzalkonium Chloride Liquid.
Important safety information:
- Benzalkonium Chloride Liquid is flammable. Do not store or use near an open flame
- Do not apply Benzalkonium Chloride Liquid over large areas of the body.
- Do not use Benzalkonium Chloride Liquid more than 3 times per day or for longer than 1 week without checking with your doctor.
- If you use topical products too often, your condition may become worse.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 7 days or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- If you touch the cold sore or fever blister, wash your hands immediately with warm water and soap. Do not touch your eyes, genitals, or other parts of the body before washing. It is possible to transfer the virus to other parts of the body.
- Ask your doctor or dentist before using Benzalkonium Chloride Liquid in CHILDREN younger than 2 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Benzalkonium Chloride Liquid while you are pregnant. It is not known if Benzalkonium Chloride Liquid is found in breast milk after topical use. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Benzalkonium Chloride Liquid, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Benzalkonium Chloride Liquid:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome: Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Brief stinging at the application site.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Benzalkonium Chloride Liquid:
Store Benzalkonium Chloride Liquid at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Keep Benzalkonium Chloride Liquid out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Benzalkonium Chloride Liquid, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Benzalkonium Chloride Liquid is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Benzalkonium Chloride Liquid. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.