Bendroflumethiazide/Nadolol Generic Name:
Bendroflumethiazide/Nadolol (BEN-droe-FLOO-me-THYE-a-zide/NAY-doe-lol)Brand Name:
Do not suddenly stop taking Bendroflumethiazide/Nadolol . Sharp chest pain, irregular heartbeat, and sometimes heart attack may occur if you suddenly stop Bendroflumethiazide/Nadolol . The risk may be greater if you have certain types of heart disease. Your doctor should slowly lower your dose over several weeks if you need to stop taking it. This should be done even if you only take Bendroflumethiazide/Nadolol for high blood pressure. Heart disease is common and you may not know you have it. Limit physical activity while you are lowering your dose. If new or worsened chest pain or other heart problems occur, contact your doctor right away. You may need to start taking Bendroflumethiazide/Nadolol again.
Bendroflumethiazide/Nadolol is used for:
Treating high blood pressure.
Bendroflumethiazide/Nadolol is a beta-blocker and diuretic combination. It works by decreasing the force and slowing down the heartbeat, helping the heart beat more regularly and reducing the amount of work the heart has to do. It also increases the elimination of excess fluid, which helps to decrease blood pressure.
Do NOT use Bendroflumethiazide/Nadolol if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Bendroflumethiazide/Nadolol or to sulfonamide medicines (eg, glyburide, probenecid, sulfamethoxazole)
- you have uncontrolled heart failure or a very slow and irregular heartbeat (eg, heart block)
- you are unable to urinate
- you have a history of asthma
- you are taking dofetilide or mibefradil
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Bendroflumethiazide/Nadolol :
Some medical conditions may interact with Bendroflumethiazide/Nadolol . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have bronchitis, lung disease (eg, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease [COPD]), diabetes, gout, an overactive thyroid, low blood levels of potassium or sodium, heart problems (eg, congestive heart failure[CHF]), blood vessel problems, pheochromocytoma, lupus, liver disease, or kidney problems
- if you are having surgery or receiving anesthesia
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Bendroflumethiazide/Nadolol . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Dofetilide or mibefradil because the risk of serious heart side effects may be increased
- Many prescription and nonprescription medicines (eg, used for infections, inflammation, aches and pains, high blood pressure, heart problems, irregular heartbeat, diabetes, depression, mental or mood problems, immune system suppression, allergic reactions, asthma, high cholesterol, seizures), multivitamin products, and herbal or dietary supplements (eg, herbal teas, coenzyme Q10, garlic, ginseng, ginkgo, St. John's wort) may interact with Bendroflumethiazide/Nadolol , increasing the risk of side effects
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Bendroflumethiazide/Nadolol may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Bendroflumethiazide/Nadolol :
Use Bendroflumethiazide/Nadolol as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Bendroflumethiazide/Nadolol by mouth with or without food.
- Bendroflumethiazide/Nadolol may increase the amount of urine or cause you to urinate more often when you first start taking it. To keep this from disturbing your sleep, try to take your dose before 6 pm.
- If you miss a dose of Bendroflumethiazide/Nadolol , take the missed dose if you remember the same day. Skip the missed dose if you do not remember the same day. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Bendroflumethiazide/Nadolol .
Important safety information:
- Bendroflumethiazide/Nadolol may cause dizziness or lightheadedness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Bendroflumethiazide/Nadolol with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Bendroflumethiazide/Nadolol may cause dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting; alcohol, hot weather, exercise, or fever may increase these effects. To prevent them, sit up or stand slowly, especially in the morning. Sit or lie down at the first sign of any of these effects.
- Patients who take medicine for high blood pressure often feel tired or run down for a few weeks after starting treatment. Be sure to take your medicine even if you may not feel "normal." Tell your doctor if you develop any new symptoms.
- Bendroflumethiazide/Nadolol may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to Bendroflumethiazide/Nadolol . Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Bendroflumethiazide/Nadolol before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- If you have high blood pressure, do not use nonprescription products that contain stimulants. These products may include diet pills or cold medicines. Contact your doctor if you have any questions or concerns.
- Diabetes patients - Bendroflumethiazide/Nadolol may hide signs of low blood sugar, such as a rapid heartbeat. Be sure to watch for other signs of low blood sugar. Low blood sugar may make you anxious, sweaty, weak, dizzy, drowsy, or faint. It may also make your vision change; give you a headache, chills, or tremors; or make you more hungry. Check blood sugar levels closely. Ask your doctor before you change the dose of your diabetes medicine.
- Lab tests, including blood pressure and heart rate, may be performed while you use Bendroflumethiazide/Nadolol . These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Bendroflumethiazide/Nadolol should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Bendroflumethiazide/Nadolol while you are pregnant. Bendroflumethiazide/Nadolol is found in breast milk. Do not breast feed while taking Bendroflumethiazide/Nadolol .
Possible side effects of Bendroflumethiazide/Nadolol :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Dizziness; lightheadedness; tiredness.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); chest pain; irregular heartbeat; muscle pain or weakness; swelling of ankles or feet; unusual thirst or fatigue; unusually slow or irregular heartbeat.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include coughing; dizziness; drowsiness; fainting; loss of consciousness; low blood pressure; muscular weakness; nausea; seizures; slow heart rate; trouble breathing; upset stomach; vomiting; weakness.Proper storage of Bendroflumethiazide/Nadolol :
Store Bendroflumethiazide/Nadolol at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Bendroflumethiazide/Nadolol out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Bendroflumethiazide/Nadolol , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Bendroflumethiazide/Nadolol is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Bendroflumethiazide/Nadolol . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.