Zotex-D LiquidGeneric Name: Pseudoephedrine/Pyrilamine/Carbetapentane
Zotex-D Liquid is used for:
Relieving symptoms of sinus congestion; runny nose, sneezing, and cough caused by colds; upper respiratory infections; and allergies. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Zotex-D Liquid is a decongestant, antihistamine, and cough suppressant combination. It works by constricting blood vessels and reducing swelling in the nasal passages. The antihistamine works by blocking the action of histamine, which helps reduce symptoms, such as watery eyes and sneezing. The cough suppressant works in the brain to help decrease the cough reflex to reduce a dry cough.
Do NOT use Zotex-D Liquid if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Zotex-D Liquid
- you have severe high blood pressure, severe heart blood vessel disease, rapid heartbeat, severe heart problems, stomach ulcer, or narrow-angle glaucoma
- you are unable to urinate or are having an asthma attack
- you take sodium oxybate (GHB) or you have taken furazolidone or a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (eg, phenelzine) within the last 14 days
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Zotex-D Liquid:
Some medical conditions may interact with Zotex-D Liquid. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat
- if you have a history of adrenal gland problems (eg, adrenal gland tumor); heart problems (eg, ischemic heart disease); high blood pressure; diabetes; heart blood vessel problems; stroke; glaucoma; a blockage of your stomach, bladder, or intestines; ulcers; trouble urinating; an enlarged prostate or other prostate problems; seizures; mental or mood problems (eg, depression); sleep apnea; or an overactive thyroid
- if you have a history of asthma, chronic cough, lung problems (eg, chronic bronchitis, emphysema), or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), or if your cough occurs with large amounts of mucus
- if you are in poor health or are very overweight
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Zotex-D Liquid. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Digoxin or droxidopa because the risk of irregular heartbeat or heart attack may be increased
- Beta-blockers (eg, propranolol), catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) inhibitors (eg, tolcapone), furazolidone, MAOIs (eg, phenelzine), sodium oxybate (GHB), tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline), or urinary alkalinizers (eg, potassium citrate) because they may increase the risk of Zotex-D Liquid's side effects
- Bromocriptine or hydantoins (eg, phenytoin) because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Zotex-D Liquid
- Guanadrel, guanethidine, mecamylamine, methyldopa, or reserpine because their effectiveness may be decreased by Zotex-D Liquid
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Zotex-D Liquid may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Zotex-D Liquid:
Use Zotex-D Liquid as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Zotex-D Liquid by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Take Zotex-D Liquid with a full glass of water (8 oz/240 mL).
- Drink plenty of water while taking Zotex-D Liquid.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- If you miss a dose of Zotex-D Liquid, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Zotex-D Liquid.
Important safety information:
- Zotex-D Liquid may cause drowsiness, dizziness, or blurred vision. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Zotex-D Liquid with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not drink alcohol or use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using Zotex-D Liquid; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- Do not take diet or appetite control medicines while you take Zotex-D Liquid without checking with your doctor.
- Zotex-D Liquid has pseudoephedrine, pyrilamine, and carbetapentane in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has pseudoephedrine, pyrilamine, or carbetapentane in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Do not use Zotex-D Liquid for a cough with a lot of mucus. Do not use it for a long-term cough (eg, caused by asthma, emphysema, smoking). However, you may use it for these conditions if your doctor tells you to.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- If cough persists for more than 1 week or is accompanied by a fever, contact your health care provider. A persistent cough could be a sign of a serious condition.
- Zotex-D Liquid may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to Zotex-D Liquid. Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- Zotex-D Liquid may interfere with skin allergy tests. If you are scheduled for a skin test, talk to your doctor. You may need to stop taking Zotex-D Liquid for a few days before the tests.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Zotex-D Liquid before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Use Zotex-D Liquid with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Zotex-D Liquid should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 2 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- Caution is advised when using Zotex-D Liquid in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially excitability.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Zotex-D Liquid while you are pregnant. It is not known if Zotex-D Liquid is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Zotex-D Liquid, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Zotex-D Liquid:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth, nose, or throat; excitability; headache; indigestion; loss of appetite; nausea; nervousness; trouble sleeping; vomiting; weakness.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); chest pain or tightness; difficult or painful urination, inability to urinate, or changes in the amount of urine; fast or irregular heartbeat; fever, chills, or persistent sore throat; hallucinations; increased trouble sleeping; mental or mood changes; seizures; severe dryness of mouth, nose, and throat; severe or persistent dizziness, drowsiness, lightheadedness, or headache; shortness of breath; tremor; vision changes (eg, blurred or double vision)
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include blurred vision; confusion; decreased coordination or loss of balance; flushing or redness of the face; hallucinations; muscle spasms; seizures; severe dizziness, drowsiness, lightheadedness, or headache; severe or persistent stomach cramping with nausea or vomiting; unusually fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat.Proper storage of Zotex-D Liquid:
Store Zotex-D Liquid at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Zotex-D Liquid out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Zotex-D Liquid, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Zotex-D Liquid is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Zotex-D Liquid. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Zotex-D Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)