Ziagen SolutionGeneric Name: Abacavir
Ziagen Solution has caused severe and sometimes fatal allergic reactions. Contact your doctor right away if you develop fever; rash; nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or stomach pain; cough; sore throat, or trouble breathing; unusual tiredness or achiness; or general feeling of being unwell. Do NOT take Ziagen Solution again or take any other medicine that contains abacavir if you have had an allergic reaction to Ziagen Solution. You may be at risk for an even more severe allergic reaction.
Patients who have a certain gene type called HLA-B*5701 have an increased risk of allergic reaction. A lab test may be performed before you start Ziagen Solution to see if you have this gene type. Discuss any questions or concerns with your doctor.
Ziagen Solution may cause severe and sometimes fatal liver problems or high blood acid levels (lactic acidosis). Contact your doctor right away if you develop yellowing of the skin or eyes; dark urine; pale stools; stomach pain; nausea; vomiting; diarrhea; persistent loss of appetite; fast or difficult breathing; slow or irregular heartbeat; unusual weakness or tiredness; muscle pain or tenderness; unusual feeling of cold (eg, in arms or legs); or unusual drowsiness, dizziness, or lightheadedness.
Ziagen Solution is used for:
Treating HIV infection with other medications.
Abacavir is a nucleoside analog reverse transcriptase inhibitor (NRTI). It works by slowing down the growth of HIV, the virus that causes AIDS.
Do NOT use Ziagen Solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Ziagen Solution
- you have had a recent abnormal liver function test or have moderate to severe liver problems
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Ziagen Solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Ziagen Solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding or thinking about breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of heart problems (eg, heart attack), high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, or smoking
- if you have been tested and know whether or not you have a gene type called HLA-B*5701
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Ziagen Solution. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Alcohol because it may increase the risk of Ziagen Solution's side effects and toxic effects
- Methadone because its effectiveness may be decreased by Ziagen Solution
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Ziagen Solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Ziagen Solution:
Use Ziagen Solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Ziagen Solution comes with an extra patient information sheet called a Medication Guide. Read it carefully. Read it again each time you get Ziagen Solution refilled.
- Ziagen Solution comes with a warning card that provides information about recognition of allergic reactions. Carry the warning card of allergy symptoms with you. Tell your health care provider immediately about any side effects you experience while taking Ziagen Solution.
- Take Ziagen Solution by mouth with or without food.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- Taking Ziagen Solution at the same times each day will help you to remember to take it. Continue to take Ziagen Solution even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of Ziagen Solution, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Ziagen Solution.
Important safety information:
- Talk to your doctor before you take Ziagen Solution if you drink more than 3 drinks with alcohol per day.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Ziagen Solution before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- If you must stop taking Ziagen Solution for any reason other than a serious allergic reaction, do not start taking Ziagen Solution again without talking with your health care provider. If your health care provider decides that you may take Ziagen Solution again, you should do so only in a setting with other people in case you need immediate access to a doctor.
- When your medicine supply is low, get more from your doctor or pharmacist as soon as you can. Do not stop taking Ziagen Solution, even for a short period of time. If you do, the virus may grow resistant to the medicine and become harder to treat.
- Changes in body fat (eg, an increased amount of fat in the upper back, neck, breast, and trunk, and loss of fat from the legs, arms, and face) may occur in some patients taking Ziagen Solution. The cause and long-term effects of these changes are unknown. Discuss any concerns with your doctor.
- Ziagen Solution does not stop the spread of HIV to others through blood or sexual contact. Use barrier methods of birth control (eg, condoms) if you have HIV infection. Do not share needles, injection supplies, or items like toothbrushes or razors.
- Ziagen Solution is not a cure for HIV infection. Patients may still get illnesses and infections associated with HIV. Remain under the care of your doctor.
- Lab tests, including liver function tests and monitoring for hypersensitivity reactions, may be performed while you use Ziagen Solution. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Ziagen Solution with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially liver, kidney, or heart problems.
- Caution is advised when using Ziagen Solution in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially fever; chills; rash; or ear, nose, or throat infection.
- Ziagen Solution should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 3 months old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Ziagen Solution while you are pregnant. It is not known if Ziagen Solution is found in breast milk. Mothers infected with HIV should not breast-feed. There is a risk of passing the HIV infection or Ziagen Solution to the baby.
Possible side effects of Ziagen Solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Headache; lack of energy; mild nausea; tiredness; trouble sleeping; unusual dreams; vomiting.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); burning, numbness, or tingling of the skin; change in the amount of urine produced; chest pain or discomfort, numbness of an arm or leg, or sudden vision changes; ear pain; eye pain, redness, or swelling; fainting; fever or chills; general feeling of being unwell; mental or mood changes (eg, depression); mouth sores; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin; severe or persistent dizziness; severe or persistent nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea; shortness of breath, cough, or sore throat; stomach pain; swollen lymph nodes; symptoms of lactic acidosis (eg, fast breathing; muscle pain; unusual cold feeling in the arms or legs; sluggishness; unusual drowsiness, dizziness, or lightheadedness); symptoms of liver problems (eg, yellowing of the skin or eyes, dark urine, pale stools, loss of appetite, severe or persistent tiredness); unusual achiness or swelling.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Ziagen Solution:
Store Ziagen Solution at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Ziagen Solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Ziagen Solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Ziagen Solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is summary only. It does not contain all information about Ziagen Solution. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Ziagen Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Ziagen Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Ziagen Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Ziagen Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information