Penicillin V Potassium SolutionGeneric Name:
Penicillin V Potassium (PEN-i-SIL-in V poe-TAS-ee-um)Brand Name:
Examples include Penicillin-VK and Veetids
Penicillin V Potassium Solution is used for:
Treating some types of infections caused by certain bacteria.
Penicillin V Potassium Solution is a penicillin antibiotic. It works by interfering with the formation of the bacteria's cell wall while it is growing. This weakens the cell wall and kills the bacteria.
Do NOT use Penicillin V Potassium Solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Penicillin V Potassium Solution or to other penicillins
- you are taking a tetracycline antibiotic
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Penicillin V Potassium Solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Penicillin V Potassium Solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have diarrhea or a stomach infection, especially in children 9 years old or younger
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Penicillin V Potassium Solution. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Chloramphenicol, guar gum, or tetracyclines because they may decrease Penicillin V Potassium Solution's effectiveness
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) or methotrexate because their actions and the risk of their side effects may be increased by Penicillin V Potassium Solution
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin), oral contraceptives (birth control pills), or chloramphenicol because their effectiveness may be decreased by Penicillin V Potassium Solution
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Penicillin V Potassium Solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Penicillin V Potassium Solution:
Use Penicillin V Potassium Solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Penicillin V Potassium Solution by mouth. Penicillin V Potassium Solution is best absorbed when taken on an empty stomach (1 hour before or 2 hours after meals), but may be taken with food.
- Penicillin V Potassium Solution works best if it is taken at the same time each day.
- Shake well before each use.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- Throw away any unused medicine after 14 days.
- To clear up your infection completely, take Penicillin V Potassium Solution for the full course of treatment. Keep taking it even if you feel better in a few days.
- Do not miss any doses. If you miss a dose of Penicillin V Potassium Solution, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Penicillin V Potassium Solution.
Important safety information:
- Do not take Penicillin V Potassium Solution if you have had a severe allergic reaction to a penicillin antibiotic (eg, amoxicillin, ampicillin) or a cephalosporin antibiotic (eg, cefaclor, cephalexin, cefuroxime, cefadroxil). A severe allergic reaction includes a severe rash, hives, breathing difficulties, or dizziness. Ask your health care provider if you are unsure if you are allergic to Penicillin V Potassium Solution.
- Long-term or repeated use of Penicillin V Potassium Solution may cause a second infection. Tell your doctor if signs of a second infection occur. Your medicine may need to be changed to treat this.
- Mild diarrhea is common with antibiotic use. However, a more serious form of diarrhea (pseudomembranous colitis) may rarely occur. This may develop while you use the antibiotic or within several months after you stop using it. Contact your doctor right away if stomach pain or cramps, severe diarrhea, or bloody stools occur. Do not treat diarrhea without first checking with your doctor.
- Diabetes patients - Penicillin V Potassium Solution may cause the results of some tests for urine glucose to be wrong. Ask your doctor before you change your diet or the dose of your diabetes medicine.
- Hormonal birth control (eg, birth control pills) may not work as well while you are using Penicillin V Potassium Solution. To prevent pregnancy, use an extra form of birth control (eg, condoms).
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Penicillin V Potassium Solution while you are pregnant. Penicillin V Potassium Solution is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Penicillin V Potassium Solution, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Penicillin V Potassium Solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Black, hairy tongue; irritation of the mouth or throat; mild diarrhea; nausea; upset stomach; vomiting.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); bloody stools or urine; fever, chills, or persistent sore throat; severe or persistent diarrhea; stomach pain or cramps; unusual bruising or bleeding; vaginal irritation or itching; worsening of skin lesions.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms of overdose may include diarrhea; nausea; or vomiting.Proper storage of Penicillin V Potassium Solution:
Store Penicillin V Potassium Solution in the refrigerator, between 36 and 46 degrees F (2 and 8 degrees C). Do not freeze. Throw away any unused medicine after 14 days. Keep Penicillin V Potassium Solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Penicillin V Potassium Solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Penicillin V Potassium Solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Penicillin V Potassium Solution. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Beepen-VK Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Bicillin L-A Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Pfizerpen Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Veetids Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Veetids Consumer Overview