Norgestimate and Ethinyl Estradiol Generic Name:
Norgestimate and Ethinyl Estradiol (nor-JES-ti-mate/ETH-in-il ess-tra-DYE-ole)Brand Name:
Examples include Ortho Tri-Cyclen and Tri-Lo-Sprintec
Smoking cigarettes while using Norgestimate and Ethinyl Estradiol increases your chance of having heart problems. Do not smoke while using Norgestimate and Ethinyl Estradiol . Women older than 35 years of age and women who smoke 15 or more cigarettes per day are at a greater risk for heart problems.
Norgestimate and Ethinyl Estradiol is used for:
Preventing pregnancy. It may also be used to regulate the menstrual cycle, treat symptoms of menopause, or treating conditions as determined by your doctor.
Norgestimate and Ethinyl Estradiol is an estrogen and progestin combination. It works by increasing levels of estrogen and progesterone, which inhibits ovulation, changes the cervical mucus (which makes it more difficult for sperm to enter the uterus), and changes the endometrium (which reduces the likelihood of implantation by the fertilized egg).
Do NOT use Norgestimate and Ethinyl Estradiol if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Norgestimate and Ethinyl Estradiol
- you are pregnant
- you have a history of problems with the blood vessels in the brain or heart, heart valve problems, heart attack, uncontrolled high blood pressure, abnormal or undiagnosed vaginal bleeding, certain cancers (including breast cancer or endometrial cancer), serious liver problems, blood clots, or have had a stroke
- you are taking troleandomycin
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Norgestimate and Ethinyl Estradiol :
Some medical conditions may interact with Norgestimate and Ethinyl Estradiol . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you smoke cigarettes
- if you have cancer, diabetes, headaches or migraines, endometriosis, epilepsy, high cholesterol or triglyceride levels in the blood, high blood pressure, recent surgery, breast nodules or abnormal mammogram, depression, gallbladder or kidney disease, irregular menstrual periods, urinary tract bleeding, or obesity
- if you have heart problems, elevated calcium in the blood, yellowing of the skin or eyes, pancreatitis, or tumors in the uterus
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Norgestimate and Ethinyl Estradiol . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Azole antifungals (eg, ketoconazole), aprepitant, bosentan, barbiturates (eg, phenobarbital), carbamazepine, felbamate, griseofulvin, HIV protease inhibitors (eg, ritonavir), hydantoins (eg, phenytoin), modafinil, nevirapine, penicillins, rifampin, St. John's wort, tetracyclines (eg, doxycycline), topiramate, or troglitazone because they may decrease Norgestimate and Ethinyl Estradiol 's effectiveness
- Beta-blockers (eg, metoprolol), corticosteroids (eg, hydrocortisone), cyclosporine, theophyllines, or troleandomycin because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Norgestimate and Ethinyl Estradiol
- Lamotrigine because its effectiveness may be decreased by Norgestimate and Ethinyl Estradiol
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Norgestimate and Ethinyl Estradiol may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Norgestimate and Ethinyl Estradiol :
Use Norgestimate and Ethinyl Estradiol as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Norgestimate and Ethinyl Estradiol by mouth with or without food.
- Norgestimate and Ethinyl Estradiol can be started either on the first day of your menstrual flow or the first Sunday after the start of your menstrual flow. A second form of birth control should be used during the first month of use.
- Norgestimate and Ethinyl Estradiol works best if it is taken at the same time each day, not more than 24 hours apart.
- If you miss a dose of Norgestimate and Ethinyl Estradiol , take it as soon as you remember. Take your next dose at the regular time. This means you may take 2 doses on the same day. If you miss more than 1 dose of Norgestimate and Ethinyl Estradiol , refer to the patient information that came with Norgestimate and Ethinyl Estradiol .
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Norgestimate and Ethinyl Estradiol .
Important safety information:
- Discontinuing Norgestimate and Ethinyl Estradiol while taking lamotrigine may increase the blood levels of lamotrigine and lead to increased side effects such as nausea, dizziness, and visual disturbances.
- Norgestimate and Ethinyl Estradiol may increase the risk of stroke, heart attack, blood clots, high blood pressure, or similar problems. The risk may be greater if you smoke.
- If you have vomiting or diarrhea for any reason, your medicine may not work as well.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Norgestimate and Ethinyl Estradiol before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- If you wear contact lenses and you develop problems with them, contact your doctor.
- Norgestimate and Ethinyl Estradiol may cause dark skin patches on your face. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to Norgestimate and Ethinyl Estradiol . Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- Use of Norgestimate and Ethinyl Estradiol will not prevent the spread of sexually transmitted diseases (STDs).
- Taking certain antibiotics, anticonvulsants, and other medicines while you are using Norgestimate and Ethinyl Estradiol may decrease the effectiveness of Norgestimate and Ethinyl Estradiol . To prevent pregnancy, use an extra form of birth control (eg, condoms).
- Norgestimate and Ethinyl Estradiol should not be used in CHILDREN before menstruation has begun.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Do not use Norgestimate and Ethinyl Estradiol if you are pregnant. If you think you may be pregnant, contact your doctor right away. Norgestimate and Ethinyl Estradiol is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Norgestimate and Ethinyl Estradiol , check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Norgestimate and Ethinyl Estradiol :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Nausea; vomiting; weight change; bleeding between menstrual periods; breast tenderness.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); calf/leg pain or swelling; changes in vision; chest pain; difficulty wearing contact lenses; dizziness or fainting; headache or sudden severe headache; lumps in the breast; missed menstrual period; numbness of an arm or leg; one-sided weakness; persistent or recurrent abnormal vaginal bleeding; severe stomach pain; slurred speech; swelling of fingers or ankles; trouble breathing or shortness of breath; yellowing skin or eyes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include nausea; vaginal bleeding;vomiting.Proper storage of Norgestimate and Ethinyl Estradiol :
Store Norgestimate and Ethinyl Estradiol at room temperature, between 68 to 77 degrees F (20 to 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Norgestimate and Ethinyl Estradiol out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Norgestimate and Ethinyl Estradiol , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Norgestimate and Ethinyl Estradiol is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Norgestimate and Ethinyl Estradiol . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.