Lumigan DropsGeneric Name: Bimatoprost
Lumigan Drops are used for:
Treating increased pressure in the eye (ocular hypertension) and open-angle glaucoma.
Lumigan Drops are a prostaglandin analog. It works to lower pressure in the eye by increasing fluid drainage from the eye.
Do NOT use Lumigan Drops if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Lumigan Drops
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Lumigan Drops:
Some medical conditions may interact with Lumigan Drops. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have inflammation, swelling, infection, or injury of the eye
- if you do not have a lens in your eye or have had the lens in your eye replaced
- if you have other types of glaucoma (eg, narrow-angle, neovascular)
- if you will be having eye surgery
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Lumigan Drops. However, no specific interactions with Lumigan Drops are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Lumigan Drops may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Lumigan Drops:
Use Lumigan Drops as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Use Lumigan Drops in the evening unless your doctor tells you otherwise.
- Soft contact lenses may absorb a chemical in Lumigan Drops. Remove contact lenses before you use Lumigan Drops; lenses may be placed back in the eyes 15 minutes after use of Lumigan Drops.
- Wash your hands before and after using Lumigan Drops.
- Tilt your head back. Using your index finger, pull the lower eyelid away from the eye to form a pouch. Drop the medicine into the pouch and gently close your eyes. Immediately use your finger to apply pressure to the inside corner of the eyelid for 1 to 2 minutes. Do not blink. Remove excess medicine around your eye with a clean, dry tissue, being careful not to touch your eye. Wash your hands to remove any medicine that may be on them.
- To prevent waste of Lumigan Drops, do not squeeze the bottle. Turn the bottle upright immediately after a drop is released.
- To prevent germs from contaminating your medicine, do not touch the applicator tip to any surface, including the eye. Keep the container tightly closed.
- Use Lumigan Drops at least 5 minutes apart from any other medicine that you put in your eye.
- Continue to use Lumigan Drops even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of Lumigan Drops, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Lumigan Drops.
Important safety information:
- Lumigan Drops are for use in the eye only. Do not get it in your nose or mouth.
- Lumigan Drops may make your eyes more sensitive to light. Use Lumigan Drops with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it. If your eyes become sensitive to light, wearing sunglasses may help.
- Lumigan Drops may cause the colored part of your eye (iris) to turn brown. This change may be permanent. It may not be noticeable for several months to years. If it occurs, you will need to have regular eye examinations. Discuss any questions or concerns with your doctor.
- Lumigan Drops may cause the whites of your eyes and your eyelids to darken. It may also cause changes in the way that your eyelashes grow (eg, length, thickness, number of lashes). These effects usually go away after you stop using Lumigan Drops. Discuss any questions or concerns with your doctor.
- Do NOT use more than the recommended dose without checking with your doctor.
- If you will be having eye surgery, tell your doctor that you use Lumigan Drops.
- Lab tests, including eye pressure, may be performed while you use Lumigan Drops. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Lumigan Drops should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Lumigan Drops while you are pregnant. It is not known if Lumigan Drops are found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Lumigan Drops, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Lumigan Drops:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Changes in eyelash growth; cold symptoms; eye burning, dryness, itching, or redness; feeling of having something in your eye; headache; increased tear production.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); darkening of the eyelid, eye color, or whites of the eyes; eye or eyelid discharge, inflammation, irritation, pain, or swelling; severe or persistent eye fatigue; vision changes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Lumigan Drops:
Store Lumigan Drops between 36 and 77 degrees F (2 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Lumigan Drops out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Lumigan Drops, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Lumigan Drops are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- Do not use Lumigan Drops for other health conditions.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Lumigan Drops. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Lumigan Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Lumigan Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Lumigan Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Lumigan Consumer Overview