Levetiracetam Extended-Release TabletsGeneric Name:
Levetiracetam (LEE-va-tye-RA-se-tam)Brand Name:
Levetiracetam Extended-Release Tablets are used for:
Treating partial-onset seizures in patients with epilepsy. It is used in combination with other medicines. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Levetiracetam Extended-Release Tablets are an anticonvulsant. Exactly how it works is not known, but it may work by slowing abnormal nerve impulses in the brain.
Do NOT use Levetiracetam Extended-Release Tablets if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Levetiracetam Extended-Release Tablets
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Levetiracetam Extended-Release Tablets:
Tell your health care provider if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have kidney problems or you are on dialysis
- if you have a history of mental or mood problems (eg, depression) or suicidal thoughts or actions
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Levetiracetam Extended-Release Tablets. However, no specific interactions with Levetiracetam Extended-Release Tablets are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Levetiracetam Extended-Release Tablets may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Levetiracetam Extended-Release Tablets:
Use Levetiracetam Extended-Release Tablets as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with Levetiracetam Extended-Release Tablets. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Take Levetiracetam Extended-Release Tablets by mouth with or without food.
- Swallow Levetiracetam Extended-Release Tablets whole. Do not break, crush, or chew before swallowing.
- Levetiracetam Extended-Release Tablets works best if it is taken at the same time(s) each day.
- Continue to take Levetiracetam Extended-Release Tablets even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of Levetiracetam Extended-Release Tablets, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Levetiracetam Extended-Release Tablets.
Important safety information:
- Levetiracetam Extended-Release Tablets may cause drowsiness or dizziness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Levetiracetam Extended-Release Tablets with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not suddenly stop taking Levetiracetam Extended-Release Tablets or your other seizure medicines. You may have an increased risk of side effects (eg, seizures). If you need to stop Levetiracetam Extended-Release Tablets or add a new medicine, your doctor will gradually lower your dose.
- Contact your health care provider if your seizures become worse or if you have a new type of seizure.
- Lab tests, including kidney function, may be performed while you use Levetiracetam Extended-Release Tablets. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Levetiracetam Extended-Release Tablets with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Levetiracetam Extended-Release Tablets should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 16 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Levetiracetam Extended-Release Tablets while you are pregnant. Levetiracetam Extended-Release Tablets are found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Levetiracetam Extended-Release Tablets.
Possible side effects of Levetiracetam Extended-Release Tablets:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Dizziness; drowsiness; irritability; nausea; sore throat; tiredness; weakness.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); abnormal thoughts; behavioral changes (eg, aggression, agitation, anger, anxiety, apathy, depression, hostility); dark urine; decreased coordination; extreme drowsiness, dizziness, tiredness, or weakness; fever, chills, or persistent sore throat; hallucinations; memory loss; mental or mood changes; new or worsening seizures; suicidal thoughts or attempts; unusual bruising or bleeding; vision changes; yellowing of the skin or eyes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include aggression; agitation; difficult or slow breathing; loss of consciousness; severe drowsiness.Proper storage of Levetiracetam Extended-Release Tablets:
Store Levetiracetam Extended-Release Tablets at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Levetiracetam Extended-Release Tablets out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Levetiracetam Extended-Release Tablets, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Levetiracetam Extended-Release Tablets are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Levetiracetam Extended-Release Tablets. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Levetiracetam Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Levetiracetam Professional Patient Advice (Wolters Kluwer)
- Levetiracetam Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- levetiracetam Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Keppra Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Keppra Consumer Overview