Hydrea Generic Name: Hydroxyurea
Hydrea is used for:
Treating skin cancer, cancer of the ovary, or chronic myelocytic leukemia that is recurrent, has spread, or cannot be helped with surgery. It may also be used with radiation to control skin cancers of the head and neck. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Hydrea is an antineoplastic agent. It works by preventing necessary steps for cancer cell growth and reproduction, resulting in cell death.
Do NOT use Hydrea if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Hydrea
- you have severe bone marrow depression, low white blood cell counts, low blood platelet levels, or severe anemia
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Hydrea :
Some medical conditions may interact with Hydrea . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have kidney problems
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Hydrea . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Didanosine because the risk of side effects, such as inflammation of the pancreas, may be increased
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Hydrea may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Hydrea :
Use Hydrea as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Hydrea may be taken with or without food.
- Wash your hands before and after handling Hydrea or the bottle it comes in. Wear gloves while you are handling Hydrea or its bottle. Follow your doctor's instructions for disposing of the gloves after you remove them.
- If you have difficulty swallowing, empty the contents of the capsule into a glass of water and drink immediately. Use care when emptying the capsule into water. Do not allow the powder to come into contact with the skin or mucous membranes and do not inhale the powder when opening the capsules. If the powder is spilled, it should be immediately wiped up with a damp towel and disposed of, as should the empty capsules.
- Drinking extra fluids while you are taking Hydrea is recommended. Check with your doctor for instructions.
- Do not use Hydrea if the expiration date has passed. Ask your doctor or pharmacist how to properly dispose of expired medicine.
- If you miss a dose of Hydrea , take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Hydrea .
Important safety information:
- Before you have any medical or dental treatments, emergency care, or surgery, tell the doctor or dentist that you are using Hydrea .
- Hydrea may lower your body's ability to fight infection. Prevent infection by avoiding contact with people with colds or other infections. Notify your doctor of any signs of infection, including fever, sore throat, rash, or chills.
- Hydrea may reduce the number of clot-forming cells (platelets) in your blood. To prevent bleeding, avoid situations in which bruising or injury may occur. Report any unusual bleeding, bruising, blood in stools, or dark, tarry stools to your doctor.
- Avoid vaccinations with live virus vaccines (eg, measles, mumps, oral polio) while you are taking Hydrea . Vaccinations may be less effective.
- LAB TESTS, including complete blood cell and platelet counts, may be performed to monitor your progress or to check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Hydrea with caution in the ELDERLY because they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Hydrea is not recommended for use in CHILDREN. Safety and effectiveness have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Hydrea has been shown to cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Hydrea during pregnancy. Hydrea is excreted in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Hydrea .
Possible side effects of Hydrea :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Constipation; drowsiness; hair loss; inflammation of the mouth; loss of appetite; nausea; redness of the face.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); blood disorders, including low numbers of red or white blood cells; blood in the urine; chills; diarrhea; fever; inflammation of the pancreas; liver toxicity; lower back or abdominal pain; painful urination; persistent cough; secondary leukemia; shortness of breath; skin cancer; skin sores or lesions; sore throat; sores on the mouth or lips; unusual bruising or bleeding; vomiting.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include dark discoloration of the skin; mouth sores; soreness; swelling of palms and soles of the feet followed by scaling of the skin.Proper storage of Hydrea :
Store Hydrea at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Keep Hydrea out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Hydrea , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Hydrea is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Hydrea . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Hydrea Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Hydrea Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Hydrea Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Hydroxyurea Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Hydroxyurea Professional Patient Advice (Wolters Kluwer)
- Droxia Prescribing Information (FDA)