Hycet LiquidGeneric Name: Acetaminophen/Hydrocodone
Examples include Hycet and Lortab
Hycet Liquid is used for:
Treating moderate to moderately severe pain. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Hycet Liquid is an analgesic combination. Acetaminophen works by lowering a chemical in the brain that stimulates pain nerves. Hydrocodone, an opioid (narcotic) analgesic, works by binding to receptors in the brain and nervous system used by the body's natural "pain relievers." The combination may provide better pain relief than either medicine alone.
Do NOT use Hycet Liquid if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Hycet Liquid or any other codeine- or morphine-related medicine (eg, codeine, oxycodone)
- you have diarrhea associated with poisoning, antibiotic use, or a bacterial infection (from eating or drinking contaminated food or water)
- you are taking sodium oxybate (GHB)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Hycet Liquid:
Some medical conditions may interact with Hycet Liquid. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you are allergic to a hydrocodone-related medicine (eg, codeine, dihydrocodeine, oxycodone)
- if you have or have ever had alcoholism, substance abuse, narcotic dependence, or if you consume more than 3 alcoholic drinks per day
- if you have a history of suicidal thoughts or behaviors
- if you have a head injury, increased pressure in the head, a brain injury or tumor, epilepsy, or seizures
- if you are having an asthma attack
- if you have an acute stomach or intestinal problem, chronic inflammation and ulceration of the bowel, or you have had recent abdominal surgery
- if you have adrenal gland problems; enlargement of the prostate gland; heart failure or lung disease, including shortness of breath; liver or kidney problems; thyroid disease; urinary blockage; or viral hepatitis
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Hycet Liquid. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Barbiturate anesthetics (eg, thiopental), cimetidine, monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitors (eg, phenelzine), sodium oxybate (GHB), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because serious side effects, such as increased sleepiness and decreased ability to breathe, may occur
- Naltrexone because it may decrease the effectiveness of Hycet Liquid and withdrawal symptoms may occur in patients who have become physically dependent on opioids
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Hycet Liquid may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Hycet Liquid:
Use Hycet Liquid as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Hycet Liquid by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- If you miss a dose of Hycet Liquid, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Hycet Liquid.
Important safety information:
- Hycet Liquid may cause drowsiness, dizziness, blurred vision, or lightheadedness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Hycet Liquid with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not drink alcohol or use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using Hycet Liquid; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- Hycet Liquid may cause dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting; alcohol, hot weather, exercise, or fever may increase these effects. To prevent them, sit up or stand slowly, especially in the morning. Sit or lie down at the first sign of any of these effects.
- Some of these products contain sulfites. Sulfites may cause an allergic reaction in some patients (eg, asthma patients). If you have ever had an allergic reaction to sulfites, ask your pharmacist if your product has sulfites in it.
- Hycet Liquid has acetaminophen in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has acetaminophen in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Hycet Liquid may harm your liver. Your risk may be greater if you drink alcohol while you are using Hycet Liquid. Talk to your doctor before you take Hycet Liquid or other fever reducers if you drink more than 3 drinks with alcohol per day.
- Use Hycet Liquid with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially possible decreased breathing and drowsiness.
- Hycet Liquid should not be used in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Hycet Liquid while you are pregnant. Hycet Liquid is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Hycet Liquid.
When used for long periods of time or at high doses, Hycet Liquid may not work as well and may require higher doses to obtain the same effect as when originally taken. This is known as TOLERANCE. Talk with your doctor if Hycet Liquid stops working well. Do not take more than prescribed.
Some people who use Hycet Liquid for a long time may develop a need to continue taking it. People who take high doses are also at risk. This is known as DEPENDENCE or addiction.
If you suddenly stop taking Hycet Liquid, you may experience WITHDRAWAL symptoms including anxiety; diarrhea; fever, runny nose, or sneezing; goose bumps and abnormal skin sensations; nausea; vomiting; pain; rigid muscles; rapid heartbeat; seeing, hearing or feeling things that are not there; shivering or tremors; sweating; and trouble sleeping.
Possible side effects of Hycet Liquid:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Blurred vision; constipation; dizziness; drowsiness; flushing; light-headedness; nausea; vomiting.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); anxiety; change in the amount of urine; fear; hearing change or loss; interrupted breathing; mental or mood changes; unusual tiredness.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include bluish skin; cold/clammy skin; difficult or slow breathing; drowsiness leading to unresponsiveness or coma; excessive sweating; loss of function in the heart and lungs; nausea and vomiting; pinpoint pupils; seizure; stomach or intestinal pain.Proper storage of Hycet Liquid:
Store Hycet Liquid at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not refrigerate. Do not freeze. Dispense in a tight, light-resistant container. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Hycet Liquid out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Hycet Liquid, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Hycet Liquid is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Hycet Liquid. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Anexsia Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Co-gesic Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Liquicet Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Lortab Consumer Overview
- Lortab Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Maxidone Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Norco Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Norco Consumer Overview
- Vicodin Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Vicodin Consumer Overview
- Vicodin ES Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Vicodin HP Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Zydone Prescribing Information (FDA)