The body's immune system is the first line of defense against almost all infections and diseases. If your body has a strong immune system you will be less prone to infection. The immune system is made up of a vast system of lymphatic channels and lymph nodes. Detoxing your body with the right herbs and supplements is an all natural way of removing unwanted toxins and heavy metals from the lymphatic system improving the overall immune system.
Herbs can be extremely valuable to a personal detoxification program. Some important herbs to consider in the process of detoxification include the following:
- Psyllium seed is a lubricating mucilaginous fiber used as a gentle bulking and laxative agent. Its benefits, however, go beyond a single action, as psyllium is adaptogenic, generally supporting healthy bowel function and used in connection with conditions ranging from diarrhea to irritable bowel syndrome. Psyllium is a particularly good choice for detoxification, as the gelatinous substance produced through soaking attracts and absorbs toxins.
- Cascara sagrada (Rhamnus purshiana) can be used as a natural laxative as well, alone, or in conjunction with psyllium. It is safe for long-term use and strengthens the muscles of the colon.
- Milk thistle. The liver is the body's foremost organ for detoxification. Milk thistle seed is commonly used to improve liver function by stimulating protein synthesis. It is also a hepatoprotective (liver protector) agent. Milk thistle is considered a natural antioxidant, helping to detoxify a wide range of potentially damaging contaminants, including drugs, alcohol, and a wide variety of chemicals.
- Nettle (Urtica dioica) has detoxifying properties that extend beyond the urinary system, but its diuretic action makes it particularly effective in this area. Overuse of nettle is not a concern as with juniper. Though the nettle root has the primary diuretic properties, all parts of the plant facilitate cleansing.
- Burdock root and seed (Arctium lappa) is similar to nettle in its cleansing and mild diuretic actions, but it is stronger in its effect. Accumulations of heavy metals within the body can be diminished with the aid of burdock.
- Dandelion root (Taraxacum officinale) helps to cleanse and strengthen the liver. Dandelion root has a cleansing action that helps to remove waste from the liver and gallbladder. It works on the kidneys as well, and is a good choice to use in conjunction with burdock root as well as milk thistle.