Ferro-DSS Generic Name: Ferrous Fumarate/Docusate
(FER-us FYOO-ma-rate/DOK-yoo-sate)Brand Name:
Accidental overdose of iron-containing products is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in children younger than 6 years old. Keep this product out of the reach of children. In case of accidental overdose, call a doctor or poison control center immediately.
Ferro-DSS is used for:
Treating and preventing low levels of iron in the blood. It also may be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Ferro-DSS is a combination essential body mineral and stool softener. It works by replacing iron in your body if your body does not produce enough on its own. The stool softener helps to decrease the constipation associated with iron products.
Do NOT use Ferro-DSS if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Ferro-DSS
- you have high levels of iron in your blood
- you have appendicitis
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Ferro-DSS :
Some medical conditions may interact with Ferro-DSS . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have inflammation of the intestines, Crohn disease, digestive problems, ulcers, anemia, a blood disease (eg, porphyria, thalassemia), or a history of bowel blockage
- if you have had multiple blood transfusions
- if you have stomach pain, nausea, or vomiting
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Ferro-DSS . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Doxycycline, mycophenolate, penicillamine, or thyroid hormones (eg, levothyroxine) because their effectiveness may be decreased by Ferro-DSS
- Mineral oil because its absorption may be increased
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Ferro-DSS may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Ferro-DSS :
Use Ferro-DSS as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Ferro-DSS by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- If you take a bisphosphonate (eg, alendronate), cephalosporin (eg, cephalexin), penicillamine, quinolone (eg, ciprofloxacin), or tetracycline (eg, minocycline), ask your doctor or pharmacist how to take it with Ferro-DSS .
- Do not take an antacid within 1 hour before or 2 hours after you take Ferro-DSS .
- Avoid eggs, whole grain breads or cereal, milk, milk products, coffee, or tea within 2 hours before or after taking Ferro-DSS . These foods may reduce absorption of Ferro-DSS .
- Take Ferro-DSS with a full glass of water (8 oz/240 mL). Do not lie down for 30 minutes after taking Ferro-DSS .
- If you miss a dose of Ferro-DSS , take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Ferro-DSS .
Important safety information:
- Do not take large doses of vitamins while you use Ferro-DSS unless your doctor tells you to.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than 6 months without checking with your doctor.
- Ferro-DSS may darken the stools. This is normal and not a cause for concern.
- Ferro-DSS contains a stool softener. Do not take any other laxative or stool softener products without first checking with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Lab tests, including blood cell counts and iron levels, may be performed while you use Ferro-DSS . These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Ferro-DSS should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Ferro-DSS while you are pregnant. Ferro-DSS is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Ferro-DSS , check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Ferro-DSS :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Bitter taste; constipation; darkened or green stools; diarrhea; nausea; stomach upset; throat irritation.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); black, tarry stools; blood or streaks of blood in the stool; fever; vomiting with continuing sharp stomach pain.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include loss of consciousness; difficulty breathing; seizures; severe nausea; stomach pain; tarry stools; unusual tiredness; vomiting; weak, fast heartbeat.Proper storage of Ferro-DSS :
Store Ferro-DSS at room temperature between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Ferro-DSS out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Ferro-DSS , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Ferro-DSS is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Ferro-DSS . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.