Emcyt Generic Name: Estramustine
Emcyt is used for:
Treating prostate cancer.
Emcyt is an antineoplastic. It works by interfering with production of necessary proteins for tumor cell growth and reproduction.
Do NOT use Emcyt if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Emcyt
- you are allergic to either estradiol or nitrogen mustard
- you have vein inflammation or disorders that block blood vessels (eg, blood clots), unless the actual tumor mass is the cause of the blockage and your doctor feels the benefits of therapy may outweigh the risks
- you are a woman
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Emcyt :
Some medical conditions may interact with Emcyt . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have problems with blood vessels in your brain (cerebral vascular disease) or heart (cardiovascular disease)
- if you have diabetes or heart disease
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Emcyt . However, no specific interactions with Emcyt are known at this time.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Emcyt may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Emcyt :
Use Emcyt as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Emcyt on an empty stomach at least 1 hour before or 2 hours after meals.
- Swallow Emcyt with water.
- Do not take antacids containing calcium, or eat or drink dairy products within 1 hour before or 2 hours after taking Emcyt .
- If nausea, vomiting, or loss of appetite occurs, ask your doctor or pharmacist for ways to lessen these effects.
- Several days to weeks may pass before you feel the full benefit of Emcyt . Do not stop taking Emcyt without checking with your doctor.
- If you miss a dose of Emcyt , skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Emcyt .
Important safety information:
- Diabetes patients - Emcyt may affect your blood sugar. Check blood sugar levels closely and ask your doctor before adjusting the dose of your diabetes medicine.
- Emcyt may alter the results of some lab tests, including liver function tests, and bilirubin and testosterone blood levels. Be sure all of your doctors and lab personnel know that you are taking Emcyt .
- Both men and women should use effective birth control methods while using Emcyt .
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Do not use Emcyt if you are pregnant. If you suspect that you could be pregnant, contact your doctor immediately. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Emcyt , check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Emcyt :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Anxiety; breast enlargement or tenderness; bruising; chest pain; diarrhea; hair thinning; headache; hoarseness; leg cramps; loss of appetite; mood swings; nausea; sleep loss; sore throat; stomach ache; vein inflammation; watery eyes.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); changes in vision; chest pain; easy bruising; impotence; numbness of an arm or leg; stroke; sudden leg pain; sudden, severe headache; swelling of the feet or ankles.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Emcyt :
Store Emcyt in the refrigerator, between 36 and 46 degrees F (2 and 8 degrees C). Do not freeze. Keep Emcyt out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Emcyt , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Emcyt is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Emcyt . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Emcyt Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Emcyt Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Emcyt Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information