Desloratadine Disintegrating TabletsGeneric Name:
Desloratadine (DES-lor-A-ta-deen)Brand Name:
Desloratadine Disintegrating Tablets are used for:
Treating allergies and chronic hives. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Desloratadine Disintegrating Tablets are an antihistamine. It works by blocking the effects of histamine, which causes allergy symptoms such as sneezing, runny nose, and itchy/watery eyes.
Do NOT use Desloratadine Disintegrating Tablets if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Desloratadine Disintegrating Tablets or to loratadine
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Desloratadine Disintegrating Tablets:
Some medical conditions may interact with Desloratadine Disintegrating Tablets. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have kidney or liver problems
- if you have phenylketonuria (PKU)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Desloratadine Disintegrating Tablets. However, no specific interactions with Desloratadine Disintegrating Tablets are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Desloratadine Disintegrating Tablets may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Desloratadine Disintegrating Tablets:
Use Desloratadine Disintegrating Tablets as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Desloratadine Disintegrating Tablets by mouth with or without food.
- Do not remove the blister from the outer pouch until you are ready to take Desloratadine Disintegrating Tablets. Make sure that your hands are dry when you open the blister pack. Do not push the tablet through the foil. Peel back the foil on the blister pack and place the tablet on your tongue. The tablet dissolves quickly and can be swallowed with saliva. Desloratadine Disintegrating Tablets may be taken with or without water. Take the tablet immediately after opening the blister pack. Do not store the removed tablet for future use.
- If you miss a dose of Desloratadine Disintegrating Tablets and you are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If several hours have passed or if it is nearing time for the next dose, do not double the dose to catch up, unless advised by your health care provider. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Desloratadine Disintegrating Tablets.
Important safety information:
- Desloratadine Disintegrating Tablets may cause dizziness. This effect may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Desloratadine Disintegrating Tablets with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Some of these products contain phenylalanine. If you must have a diet that is low in phenylalanine, ask your pharmacist if it is in your product.
- Desloratadine Disintegrating Tablets should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Desloratadine Disintegrating Tablets while you are pregnant. Desloratadine Disintegrating Tablets are found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Desloratadine Disintegrating Tablets.
Possible side effects of Desloratadine Disintegrating Tablets:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Dizziness; muscle pain; nausea; sore throat; tiredness; upset stomach.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); dark urine; fast or irregular heartbeat; pale stools; seizures; yellowing of the skin or eyes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include confusion; difficulty breathing; drowsiness; fast heartbeat; hallucinations; inability to sleep; loss of consciousness; tremor.Proper storage of Desloratadine Disintegrating Tablets:
Store Desloratadine Disintegrating Tablets at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Desloratadine Disintegrating Tablets out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Desloratadine Disintegrating Tablets, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Desloratadine Disintegrating Tablets are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Desloratadine Disintegrating Tablets. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Desloratadine Professional Patient Advice (Wolters Kluwer)
- Desloratadine Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- desloratadine Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Clarinex Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Clarinex Consumer Overview