Chlor-Trimeton Generic Name: Chlorpheniramine
Examples include Ahist and Chlor-Trimeton
Chlor-Trimeton is used for:
Relieving symptoms of sinus congestion, sinus pressure, runny nose, watery eyes, itching of the nose and throat, and sneezing due to upper respiratory infections (eg, colds), allergies, and hay fever. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Chlor-Trimeton is an antihistamine. It works by blocking the action of histamine, which helps reduce symptoms such as watery eyes and sneezing.
Do NOT use Chlor-Trimeton if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Chlor-Trimeton
- you are taking sodium oxybate (GHB) or if you have taken furazolidone or a monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitor (eg, phenelzine) within the last 14 days
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Chlor-Trimeton :
Some medical conditions may interact with Chlor-Trimeton . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat
- if you have a history of asthma, lung problems (eg, emphysema), heart problems, high blood pressure, diabetes, heart blood vessel problems, stroke, glaucoma, a blockage of your stomach or intestines, ulcers, a blockage of your bladder, trouble urinating, an enlarged prostate, seizures, or an overactive thyroid
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Chlor-Trimeton . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Furazolidone, MAO inhibitors (eg, phenelzine), sodium oxybate (GHB), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because side effects of Chlor-Trimeton may be increased
- Hydantoins (eg, phenytoin) because side effects may be increased by Chlor-Trimeton
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Chlor-Trimeton may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Chlor-Trimeton :
Use Chlor-Trimeton as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Chlor-Trimeton may be taken with or without food.
- If you miss a dose of Chlor-Trimeton , take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Chlor-Trimeton .
Important safety information:
- Chlor-Trimeton may cause dizziness, drowsiness, or blurred vision. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to Chlor-Trimeton . Using Chlor-Trimeton alone, with certain other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or perform other potentially dangerous tasks.
- Do NOT exceed the recommended dose or take Chlor-Trimeton for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not improve within 5 to 7 days or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Chlor-Trimeton may cause increased sensitivity to the sun. Avoid exposure to the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to Chlor-Trimeton . Use a sunscreen or protective clothing if you must be outside for a prolonged period.
- If you are scheduled for allergy skin testing, do not take Chlor-Trimeton for several days before the test because it may decrease your response to the skin tests.
- Before you have any medical or dental treatments, emergency care, or surgery, tell the doctor or dentist that you are using Chlor-Trimeton .
- Use Chlor-Trimeton with caution in the ELDERLY because they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Caution is advised when using Chlor-Trimeton in CHILDREN because they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking Chlor-Trimeton , discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Chlor-Trimeton during pregnancy. It is unknown if Chlor-Trimeton is excreted in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Chlor-Trimeton .
Possible side effects of Chlor-Trimeton :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth, nose, or throat; excitability; headache; loss of appetite; nausea; nervousness or anxiety; trouble sleeping; upset stomach; vomiting; weakness.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); difficulty urinating or inability to urinate; fast or irregular heartbeat; hallucinations; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; tremor; trouble sleeping; vision changes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include blurred vision; confusion; hallucinations; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; severe drowsiness; unusually fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; vomiting.Proper storage of Chlor-Trimeton :
Store Chlor-Trimeton at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Chlor-Trimeton out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Chlor-Trimeton , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Chlor-Trimeton is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Chlor-Trimeton . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Chlor-Trimeton Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)