Pronunciation: (ben-ZOE-nah-tate)Class: Nonnarcotic antitussive
Trade Names:Tessalon- Capsules 100 mg- Capsules 200 mg
Reduces cough reflex by anesthetizing stretch receptors in respiratory passages.
15 to 20 min.
3 to 8 h.
Indications and Usage
Symptomatic relief of cough.
Dosage and AdministrationAdults and Children at least 10 yr of age
PO 100 to 200 mg 3 times daily as required, up to 600 mg/day.
- Have patient swallow capsules whole. Caution patient not to suck or chew capsule because benzonatate can produce a temporary local anesthesia of the oral mucosa and choking could occur.
- Administer without regard to meals but administer with food or milk if GI upset occurs.
Store capsules at controlled room temperature (59° to 86°F). Keep tightly capped.
None well documented.
Laboratory Test Interactions
None well documented.
Sedation; headache; mental confusion; visual hallucinations.
Pruritus; skin eruptions.
Constipation; nausea; GI upset.
Hypersensitivity reactions including bronchospasm, laryngospasm, CV collapse, possibly related to chewing the capsule.
Nasal congestion; eye irritation; feeling cold; chest numbness.
Assess response to therapy. Inform health care provider if cough is not controlled or worsens.
Safety in children younger than 10 yr of age is not established.
CNS stimulation, restlessness, tremors, convulsions, profound CNS depression.
- Advise patient to take prescribed dose up to 3 times daily if needed for cough.
- Caution patient not to chew or suck on capsule because doing so can cause local anesthesia (numbness) of the mouth and throat and choking could occur.
- Advise patient to take without regard to meals but to take with food or milk if stomach upset occurs.
- Advise patient if a dose is missed, to take as soon as remembered unless it is nearing time for the next dose. Caution patient not to double the dose to catch up.
- Advise patient if cough is not controlled, not to increase the dose of medication, but to inform health care provider.
- Advise patient to inform health care provider if bothersome side effects occur.
- Caution patients that drug may cause drowsiness or dizziness and to use caution while driving or performing other tasks requiring mental alertness until tolerance is determined.
Copyright © 2009 Wolters Kluwer Health.
- Benzonatate MedFacts Consumer Leaflet (Wolters Kluwer)
- Benzonatate Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Benzonatate Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- benzonatate Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- benzonatate Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information