Benadryl SolutionGeneric Name: Diphenhydramine
Benadryl Solution is used for:
Treating allergic reactions, allergy symptoms, motion sickness, and Parkinson disease when treatment with medicine taken by mouth is not possible. It may also be used for certain conditions as determined by your doctor.
Benadryl Solution is an antihistamine and anticholinergic. It works by blocking the action of histamine, which reduces the symptoms of an allergic reaction. It also works in the brain to reduce symptoms of Parkinson disease and motion sickness.
Do NOT use Benadryl Solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Benadryl Solution or to similar medicines
- you are taking sodium oxybate (GHB)
- you are breast-feeding
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Benadryl Solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Benadryl Solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), chronic bronchitis, emphysema, lung disease, shortness of breath, or sleep apnea
- if you have blockage of the stomach, intestine, or urinary tract; difficulty urinating; diabetes; ulcers; enlargement of the prostate; glaucoma; heart disease; high blood pressure; the blood disease porphyria; or thyroid disease
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Benadryl Solution. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Sodium oxybate (GHB) because an increase in sleep duration and a decrease in the ability to breathe are likely to occur
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Benadryl Solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Benadryl Solution:
Use Benadryl Solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Benadryl Solution is for injection only.
- Benadryl Solution is usually given as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic. If you will be using Benadryl Solution at home, a health care provider will teach you how to use it. Be sure you understand how to use Benadryl Solution. Follow the procedures you are taught when you use a dose. Contact your health care provider if you have any questions.
- Do not use Benadryl Solution if it contains particles, is cloudy or discolored, or if the vial is cracked or damaged.
- Keep this product, as well as syringes and needles, out of the reach of children and pets. Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials. Ask your health care provider how to dispose of these materials after use. Follow all local rules for disposal.
- If you miss a dose of Benadryl Solution and you are using it regularly, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Benadryl Solution.
Important safety information:
- Benadryl Solution may cause drowsiness or dizziness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Benadryl Solution with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not drink alcohol or use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using Benadryl Solution; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- Benadryl Solution may cause dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting; alcohol, hot weather, exercise, or fever may increase these effects. To prevent them, sit up or stand slowly, especially in the morning. Sit or lie down at the first sign of any of these effects.
- Do not become overheated in hot weather or while you are being active; heatstroke may occur.
- Benadryl Solution may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to Benadryl Solution. Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- Benadryl Solution has diphenhydramine in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has diphenhydramine in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Use Benadryl Solution with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially dizziness, sedation, and lightheadedness upon standing.
- Benadryl Solution should not be used in PREMATURE INFANTS or NEWBORNS younger than 4 weeks old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Benadryl Solution while you are pregnant. Benadryl Solution is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Benadryl Solution.
Possible side effects of Benadryl Solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth, throat, and nose; thickening of mucus in nose or throat.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); convulsions; decreased alertness; excitability; fast heartbeat; hallucinations; pain, redness, or swelling at the injection site; tightness or pounding in the chest; tremor; wheezing.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include coma; excitement; hallucinations; loss of consciousness; muscle twitching; seizures; tremor; weakness.Proper storage of Benadryl Solution:
Store Benadryl Solution at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not freeze. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Benadryl Solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Benadryl Solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Benadryl Solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Benadryl Solution. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Benadryl Consumer Overview
- Diphen Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Diphenhydramine Prescribing Information (FDA)