Bacitracin/Neomycin/Polymyxin OintmentGeneric Name:
Bacitracin/Neomycin/Polymyxin (BAS-i-TRAY-sin/NEE-oh-MYE-sin/POL-ee-MIX-in)Brand Name:
Bacitracin/Neomycin/Polymyxin Ointment is used for:
Treating eye infections caused by certain bacteria.
Bacitracin/Neomycin/Polymyxin Ointment is an antibiotic. It works by slowing the growth of, or killing, sensitive bacteria on the eye.
Do NOT use Bacitracin/Neomycin/Polymyxin Ointment if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Bacitracin/Neomycin/Polymyxin Ointment
- you have a fungal (eg, ringworm), viral (eg, herpes simplex, chickenpox, shingles), or mycobacterial infection of the eye
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Bacitracin/Neomycin/Polymyxin Ointment:
Some medical conditions may interact with Bacitracin/Neomycin/Polymyxin Ointment. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Bacitracin/Neomycin/Polymyxin Ointment. Because little, if any, of Bacitracin/Neomycin/Polymyxin Ointment is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if Bacitracin/Neomycin/Polymyxin Ointment may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Bacitracin/Neomycin/Polymyxin Ointment:
Use Bacitracin/Neomycin/Polymyxin Ointment as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Bacitracin/Neomycin/Polymyxin Ointment may be used around the eye or in the eye. To use Bacitracin/Neomycin/Polymyxin Ointment in the eye, first, wash your hands. Using your index finger, pull the lower eyelid away from your eye to form a pouch. Squeeze a thin strip of ointment into the pouch. After using Bacitracin/Neomycin/Polymyxin Ointment, gently close your eyes for 1 to 2 minutes. Wash your hands to remove any medicine that may be on them. Wipe the applicator tip with a clean, dry tissue.
- To prevent germs from contaminating your medicine, do not touch the applicator tip to any surface, including the eye. Keep the container tightly closed.
- Do not wear contact lenses while you are using Bacitracin/Neomycin/Polymyxin Ointment. Take care of your contact lenses as directed by the manufacturer. Check with your doctor before you use them.
- To prevent reinfection, wash your hands before and after using Bacitracin/Neomycin/Polymyxin Ointment.
- To clear up your infection completely, use Bacitracin/Neomycin/Polymyxin Ointment for the full course of treatment. Keep using it even if you feel better in a few days.
- If you miss a dose of Bacitracin/Neomycin/Polymyxin Ointment, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Bacitracin/Neomycin/Polymyxin Ointment.
Important safety information:
- Bacitracin/Neomycin/Polymyxin Ointment only works against bacteria; it does not treat viral infections (eg, the common cold).
- Bacitracin/Neomycin/Polymyxin Ointment may cause blurred vision. Use Bacitracin/Neomycin/Polymyxin Ointment with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks if you cannot see clearly.
- Be sure to use Bacitracin/Neomycin/Polymyxin Ointment for the full course of treatment. If you do not, the medicine may not clear up your infection completely. The bacteria could also become less sensitive to this or other medicines. This could make the infection harder to treat in the future.
- Long-term or repeated use of Bacitracin/Neomycin/Polymyxin Ointment may cause a second infection. Tell your doctor if signs of a second infection occur. Your medicine may need to be changed to treat this.
- If your symptoms do not get better within a few days or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Do not use Bacitracin/Neomycin/Polymyxin Ointment for future eye problems unless directed by your doctor.
- Bacitracin/Neomycin/Polymyxin Ointment should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Bacitracin/Neomycin/Polymyxin Ointment while you are pregnant. It is not known if Bacitracin/Neomycin/Polymyxin Ointment is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Bacitracin/Neomycin/Polymyxin Ointment.
Possible side effects of Bacitracin/Neomycin/Polymyxin Ointment:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Blurred vision; mild burning, irritation, or stinging.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); changes in vision; continued redness, burning, or itching; eye pain; secondary infection.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Bacitracin/Neomycin/Polymyxin Ointment:
Store Bacitracin/Neomycin/Polymyxin Ointment at room temperature, between 59 and 77 degrees F (15 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Keep Bacitracin/Neomycin/Polymyxin Ointment out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Bacitracin/Neomycin/Polymyxin Ointment, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Bacitracin/Neomycin/Polymyxin Ointment is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Bacitracin/Neomycin/Polymyxin Ointment. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.