Zomig SprayGeneric Name: Zolmitriptan
Zomig Spray is used for:
Treating acute migraine headaches with or without aura (flashing lights, wavy lines, dark spots) in adults. It is not intended to prevent migraines.
Zomig Spray belongs to a group of medicines called "triptans." It works by narrowing the widened vessels thought to cause migraine headaches.
Do NOT use Zomig Spray if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Zomig Spray
- you have a history of heart disease, uncontrolled high blood pressure, or are currently taking or have taken a monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitor (eg, phenelzine) within the past 14 days
- you have used an ergot alkaloid (eg, ergotamine) or other "triptan" migraine medicine in the last 24 hours
- you are currently taking sibutramine
- you have migraines caused by basal arteries or hemiplegia
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Zomig Spray:
Some medical conditions may interact with Zomig Spray. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have heart disease (or a family history of heart disease), peripheral blood vessel disease, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, or diabetes
- if you have cluster headaches
- if you have factors that could lead to heart attacks (eg, overweight, smoking) or you are a postmenopausal woman
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Zomig Spray. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) (eg, fluoxetine) because they may decrease Zomig Spray's effectiveness
- Sibutramine because the risk of side effects, such as serotonin syndrome (ie, restlessness, fever, excessive sweating, confusion, twitching, seizures, which can rarely be life-threatening), may be increased
- Other serotonin agonists (eg, sumatriptan) because they may increase the risk of Zomig Spray's side effects
- Ergot alkaloids (eg, ergotamine) or MAO inhibitors (eg, phenelzine) because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Zomig Sprays
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Zomig Spray may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Zomig Spray:
Use Zomig Spray as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with Zomig Spray. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- It is best to use Zomig Spray as soon as you notice the headache symptoms of a migraine attack.
- Additional benefit may be obtained if the patient lies down in a quiet, dark room after administering medication.
- Zomig Spray is intended for the relief of acute migraine attacks. It does not prevent or reduce the number of attacks. Use Zomig Spray only for acute migraine attacks.
- Avoid spraying Zomig Spray into the eyes.
- The protective cap must not be removed from Zomig Spray until you are ready to use it.
- Do NOT test the spray before use.
- Gently blow your nose, then sit down and tilt your head back slightly. Spray the prescribed dose into 1 nostril. If your headache returns, a second nasal spray may be used anytime after 2 hours of using the first dose. If you do not respond to the first nasal spray, do not use Zomig Spray a second time without first consulting your health care provider. Do not use more than a total of 10 mg of Zomig Spray in a 24-hour period.
- If your medicine has expired, throw it away.
- If you miss a dose of Zomig Spray and you still have a headache, follow your doctor's dosing instructions. Contact your doctor if you are unsure of what to do if you miss a dose. Do not use Zomig Spray more often than prescribed. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Zomig Spray.
Important safety information:
- Zomig Spray may cause dizziness or drowsiness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Zomig Spray with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- The long-term effects of repeated use of this medication have not been studied. The safety for treating an average of more than 4 headaches in a 30-day period has not established.
- Diabetes patients - Zomig Spray may affect your blood sugar. Check blood sugar levels closely. Ask your doctor before you change the dose of your diabetes medicine.
- Additional monitoring of your dose or condition may be needed if you are taking oral contraceptives (birth control pills), cimetidine, or other migraine medicines.
- Lab tests, including liver function, kidney function, lung function, blood pressure, fasting blood glucose, and blood cholesterol, may be performed while you use Zomig Spray. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Zomig Spray with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Zomig Spray should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 18 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- If you are past menopause discuss the safety of using Zomig Spray with your doctor or pharmacist.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Zomig Spray while you are pregnant. It is not known if Zomig Spray is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Zomig Spray, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Zomig Spray:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Abnormal skin sensations; dizziness; drowsiness; increased sensitivity to touch; nausea; pain; warm/cold sensations; weakness.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); pounding in the chest; tightness, pain, pressure, or heaviness in jaw, neck, throat, and chest.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include severe drowsiness.Proper storage of Zomig Spray:
Store Zomig Spray at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Zomig Spray out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Zomig Spray, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Zomig Spray is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Zomig Spray. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Zomig Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Zomig Consumer Overview
- Zomig Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Zomig Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Zolmitriptan Professional Patient Advice (Wolters Kluwer)