Zolmitriptan Disintegrating TabletsGeneric Name:
Zolmitriptan (zohl-mi-TRIP-tan)Brand Name:
Zolmitriptan Disintegrating Tablets are used for:
Treating acute migraine headaches with or without aura (flashing lights, wavy lines, dark spots) in adults. It is not intended to prevent migraines.
Zolmitriptan Disintegrating Tablets belongs to a group of medicines called "triptans." It works by narrowing the widened vessels thought to cause migraine headaches.
Do NOT use Zolmitriptan Disintegrating Tablets if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Zolmitriptan Disintegrating Tablets
- you have a history of heart disease, uncontrolled high blood pressure, or are currently taking or have taken a monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitor (eg, phenelzine) within the past 14 days
- you have used an ergot alkaloid (eg, ergotamine) or other "triptan" migraine medicine in the last 24 hours
- you are currently taking sibutramine
- you have migraines caused by basal arteries or hemiplegia
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Zolmitriptan Disintegrating Tablets:
Some medical conditions may interact with Zolmitriptan Disintegrating Tablets. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have heart disease (or a family history of heart disease), peripheral blood vessel disease, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, or diabetes
- if you have cluster headaches
- if you have factors that could lead to heart attacks (eg, overweight, smoking) or you are a postmenopausal woman
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Zolmitriptan Disintegrating Tablets. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) (eg, fluoxetine) because they may decrease Zolmitriptan Disintegrating Tablets's effectiveness
- Sibutramine because the risk of side effects, such as serotonin syndrome (ie, restlessness, fever, excessive sweating, confusion, twitching, and seizures which can rarely be life-threatening), may be increased
- Other serotonin agonists (eg, sumatriptan) because they may increase the risk of Zolmitriptan Disintegrating Tablets's side effects
- Ergot alkaloids (eg, ergotamine) or MAO inhibitors (eg, phenelzine) because risk of their side effects may be increased by Zolmitriptan Disintegrating Tabletss
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Zolmitriptan Disintegrating Tablets may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Zolmitriptan Disintegrating Tablets:
Use Zolmitriptan Disintegrating Tablets as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with Zolmitriptan Disintegrating Tablets. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Take Zolmitriptan Disintegrating Tablets by mouth with or without food.
- It is best to use Zolmitriptan Disintegrating Tablets as soon as you notice the headache symptoms of a migraine attack.
- Additional benefit may be obtained if the patient lies down in a quiet, dark room after administering medication.
- Zolmitriptan Disintegrating Tablets are intended for the relief of acute migraine attacks. It does not prevent or reduce the number of attacks. Use Zolmitriptan Disintegrating Tablets only for acute migraine attacks.
- Open tablet blister pack with dry hands and place the tablet on the tongue. Do not try to split the tablets.
- Take the tablet immediately after removing it from its blister. Do not store the removed tablet for future use. Throw away any unused tablets or portions that have been removed from the blister pack.
- The tablet will dissolve rapidly on the tongue and can be swallowed with saliva. It is not necessary to take Zolmitriptan Disintegrating Tablets with liquid.
- If the headache returns, you can take another tablet after 2 hours. If the first dose does not relieve the migraine attack, do not take a second dose unless advised to do so by your health care provider. Do not take more than 10 mg in a 24-hour period.
- If your medicine has expired, throw it away.
- If you miss a dose of Zolmitriptan Disintegrating Tablets and you still have a headache, follow your doctor's dosing instructions. Contact your doctor if you are unsure of what to do if you miss a dose. Do not use Zolmitriptan Disintegrating Tablets more often than prescribed. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Zolmitriptan Disintegrating Tablets.
Important safety information:
- Zolmitriptan Disintegrating Tablets may cause dizziness or drowsiness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Zolmitriptan Disintegrating Tablets with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Diabetes patients - Zolmitriptan Disintegrating Tablets may affect your blood sugar. Check blood sugar levels closely. Ask your doctor before you change the dose of your diabetes medicine.
- Additional monitoring of your dose or condition may be needed if you are taking oral contraceptives (birth control pills), cimetidine, or other migraine medicines.
- The long-term effects of repeated use of Zolmitriptan Disintegrating Tablets have not been studied. The safety for treating an average of more than 4 headaches in a 30 day period has not been established.
- Lab tests, including liver function, kidney function, lung function, blood pressure, fasting blood glucose, and blood cholesterol, may be performed while you use Zolmitriptan Disintegrating Tablets. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Zolmitriptan Disintegrating Tablets with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Zolmitriptan Disintegrating Tablets should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 18 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- If you are past menopause discuss the safety of using Zolmitriptan Disintegrating Tablets with your doctor or pharmacist.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Zolmitriptan Disintegrating Tablets while you are pregnant. It is not known if Zolmitriptan Disintegrating Tablets are found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Zolmitriptan Disintegrating Tablets, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Zolmitriptan Disintegrating Tablets:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Abnormal skin sensations; dizziness; drowsiness; increased sensitivity to touch; nausea; pain; warm/cold sensations; weakness.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); heart attack; pounding in the chest; tightness, pain, pressure, or heaviness in jaw, neck, throat, and chest.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include severe drowsiness.Proper storage of Zolmitriptan Disintegrating Tablets:
Store Zolmitriptan Disintegrating Tablets at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Zolmitriptan Disintegrating Tablets out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Zolmitriptan Disintegrating Tablets, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Zolmitriptan Disintegrating Tablets are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Zolmitriptan Disintegrating Tablets. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Zolmitriptan Professional Patient Advice (Wolters Kluwer)
- Zolmitriptan Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- zolmitriptan Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Zomig Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Zomig Consumer Overview