Zegerid Powder PacketsGeneric Name: Omeprazole/Sodium Bicarbonate
(oh-MEP-ra-zole/SOE-dee-um bye-KAR-bo-nate)Brand Name:
Zegerid Powder Packets are used for:
Treating heartburn or irritation of the esophagus caused by gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). It may be used for short-term treatment of ulcers of the stomach or small intestines. It may be used to decrease the risk of stomach bleeding in severely ill patients. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Zegerid Powder Packets are a proton pump inhibitor (PPI) and sodium bicarbonate combination. The PPI works by decreasing the amount of acid produced in the stomach. The sodium bicarbonate works by slowing the breakdown of the PPI in the stomach, which helps to increase absorption of the PPI.
Do NOT use Zegerid Powder Packets if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Zegerid Powder Packets
- you have low blood calcium levels or metabolic alkalosis
- you are taking an HIV protease inhibitor (eg, atazanavir)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Zegerid Powder Packets:
Some medical conditions may interact with Zegerid Powder Packets. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have liver problems, stomach or bowel cancer, or undiagnosed bleeding from the rectum
- if you have Bartter syndrome, low blood potassium levels, acid-base balance problems, or respiratory alkalosis
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Zegerid Powder Packets. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Clarithromycin or voriconazole because they may increase the risk of Zegerid Powder Packets's side effects
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin), benzodiazepines (eg, diazepam), cilostazol, cyclosporine, digoxin, disulfiram, phenytoin, or tacrolimus because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Zegerid Powder Packets
- Ampicillins, azole antifungals (eg, ketoconazole), clopidogrel, ginkgo biloba, HIV protease inhibitors (eg, atazanavir), or iron because their effectiveness may be decreased by Zegerid Powder Packets
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Zegerid Powder Packets may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Zegerid Powder Packets:
Use Zegerid Powder Packets as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Zegerid Powder Packets by mouth on an empty stomach at least 1 hour before eating.
- Place 1 to 2 tablespoons (15 to 30 mL) of water in a small cup. Do NOT use other liquids or foods. Empty the contents of the packet into the cup, stir well, and drink at once. Refill the cup with water and drink. Do not store the mixture for use at a later time.
- If you also take an imidazole antifungal (eg, ketoconazole), take it at least 2 hours before taking Zegerid Powder Packets.
- If you also take sucralfate, take his medicine at least 30 minutes before taking sucralfate.
- You may take antacids while you are using Zegerid Powder Packets if you are directed to do so by your doctor.
- Continue to take Zegerid Powder Packets even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of Zegerid Powder Packets, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Zegerid Powder Packets.
Important safety information:
- Zegerid Powder Packets may cause drowsiness or dizziness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Zegerid Powder Packets with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Contact your doctor if you have any signs of a bleeding ulcer, such as black, tarry stools or vomit that looks like coffee grounds, or if you experience throat pain, chest pain, severe stomach pain, or trouble swallowing.
- Zegerid Powder Packets has sodium in it. Include this when you count your daily intake of sodium.
- Long-term use of Zegerid Powder Packets with calcium or milk may cause milk-alkali syndrome. Check with your doctor before taking calcium supplements, antacids that contain calcium, or drinking milk while you are taking Zegerid Powder Packets.
- Both strengths of Zegerid Powder Packets contain the same amount of sodium bicarbonate. Therefore, if your doctor has prescribed the 40 mg dose, do not take 2 of the 20 mg packets to make a 40 mg dose.
- Zegerid Powder Packets may interfere with certain lab tests. Be sure your doctor and lab personnel know you are taking Zegerid Powder Packets.
- Zegerid Powder Packets should be used with extreme caution in Asian patients; the risk of side effects may be increased in these patients.
- Zegerid Powder Packets should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 18 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Zegerid Powder Packets while you are pregnant. Zegerid Powder Packets are found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Zegerid Powder Packets.
Possible side effects of Zegerid Powder Packets:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Diarrhea; headache.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue; unusual hoarseness); chest pain; dark urine; fast or irregular heartbeat; fever, chills, or sore throat; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin; seizures; swelling of the hands, ankles, or feet; unusual bruising or bleeding; unusual or sudden weight increase; unusual tiredness; vision changes; yellowing of the eyes or skin.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include blurred vision; confusion; drowsiness; dry mouth; fast heartbeat; flushing; increased sweating; seizures; severe headache, drowsiness, or nausea; vomiting.Proper storage of Zegerid Powder Packets:
Store Zegerid Powder Packets at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Zegerid Powder Packets out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Zegerid Powder Packets, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Zegerid Powder Packets are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Zegerid Powder Packets. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.