Vytone Generic Name: Hydrocortisone/Iodoquinol
Examples include Dermazene and Vytone
Vytone is used for:
Treating inflammation and itching due to certain skin conditions when bacterial or fungal infection may be present. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Vytone is a topical adrenocortical steroid and antibacterial/antifungal. It works by reducing skin inflammation (redness, swelling, itching, and irritation) in a way that is not clearly understood. The antibacterial/antifungal works by killing sensitive bacteria and fungi.
Do NOT use Vytone if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Vytone
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Vytone :
Some medical conditions may interact with Vytone . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have any kind of skin infection, cuts, scrapes, or lessened blood flow to your skin
- if you have had a recent vaccination; have measles, tuberculosis, chicken pox, or shingles; or have had a positive tuberculosis test
- if you are taking prednisone or similar medicines
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Vytone . Because little, if any, of Vytone is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if Vytone may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Vytone :
Use Vytone as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Apply a small amount of medicine to the affected area. Gently rub the medicine in until it is evenly distributed. Wash your hands after applying Vytone , unless your hands are part of the treated area.
- Do not bandage or cover the treated skin area unless directed by your doctor.
- If you miss a dose of Vytone , apply it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not apply 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Vytone .
Important safety information:
- Vytone is for external use only. Do not get Vytone in your eyes. If contact is made with the eyes, flush them immediately with tap water.
- Long-term or repeated use of Vytone may cause a second infection. Tell your doctor if signs of a second infection occur. Your medicine may need to be changed to treat this.
- If Vytone is applied to the diaper area, apply a very small amount and do not use tight-fitting diapers or plastic pants.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- Vytone may stain skin and clothing or other fabrics.
- Check with your doctor before having vaccinations while using Vytone .
- Do not use Vytone for other skin conditions at a later time.
- Vytone has a corticosteroid in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has a corticosteroid in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Vytone may interfere with certain lab tests, including thyroid function tests and certain phenylketonuria tests. Be sure your doctor and lab personnel know you are using Vytone . You should wait at least 1 month after stopping treatment with Vytone to have a thyroid function test.
- Corticosteroids may affect growth rate in CHILDREN and teenagers in some cases. They may need regular growth checks while they use Vytone .
- Vytone should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Vytone while you are pregnant. It is not known if Vytone is found in breast milk after topical use. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Vytone , check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Vytone :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Dryness; itching.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); acne-like rash; burning, cracking, irritation, or peeling not present before you began using Vytone ; excessive hair growth; inflamed hair follicles; inflammation around the mouth; muscle weakness; thinning, softening, or discoloration of the skin; unusual weight gain, especially in the face.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include increased thirst or urination; muscle weakness; unusual weight gain, especially in the face.Proper storage of Vytone :
Store Vytone at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not freeze. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Vytone out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Vytone , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Vytone is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Vytone . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.