Vincasar PFS Generic Name: Vincristine
If Vincasar PFS accidentally leaks into surrounding tissue, the skin and/or muscle may be severely damaged. Notify your doctor immediately if you feel pain or irritation at the injection site. Fatalities have occurred when vincristine was injected into the spine. This drug is for intravenous (IV, into a vein) use only.
Vincasar PFS is used for:
Treating certain types of cancer (eg, leukemia, Hodgkin disease, and non-Hodgkin lymphomas).
Vincasar PFS is an antineoplastic. It works by targeting cancer cells and interfering with their replication.
Do NOT use Vincasar PFS if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Vincasar PFS
- you have a disease of the nervous system, herpes zoster virus infection (eg, shingles), or chickenpox
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Vincasar PFS :
Some medical conditions may interact with Vincasar PFS . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have an infection, low blood platelets, low white blood cells, blood problems due to chemotherapy, liver problems, muscle problems, or a disease of the nervous system
- if you have received radiation therapy or other chemotherapy
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Vincasar PFS . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Cisplatin, cyclosporine, itraconazole, or streptogramins (eg, quinupristin) because the side effects of Vincasar PFS may be increased
- Digoxin or hydantoins (eg, phenytoin) because effectiveness may be decreased by Vincasar PFS
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Vincasar PFS may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Vincasar PFS :
Use Vincasar PFS as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Vincasar PFS is usually administered as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic.
- Drinking extra fluids while you are taking Vincasar PFS is recommended. Check with your doctor for instructions.
- If Vincasar PFS contains particles or is discolored, or if the vial is cracked or damaged in any way, do not use it.
- Keep this product, as well as syringes and needles, out of the reach of children and away from pets. Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials. Dispose of properly after use. Ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain local regulations for proper disposal.
- If you miss a dose of Vincasar PFS , contact your doctor immediately.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Vincasar PFS .
Important safety information:
- Vincasar PFS may cause dizziness or lightheadedness. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to Vincasar PFS . Using Vincasar PFS alone, with certain other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or perform other potentially dangerous tasks.
- LAB TESTS, including complete blood cell count, may be performed to monitor your progress or to check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Vincasar PFS with caution in the ELDERLY because they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially bladder and urination problems.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Vincasar PFS has been shown to cause harm to the fetus. Avoid becoming pregnant while taking Vincasar PFS . If you think you may be pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Vincasar PFS during pregnancy. It is unknown if Vincasar PFS is excreted in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Vincasar PFS .
Possible side effects of Vincasar PFS :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Constipation; hair loss; nausea; vomiting.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); cough or sore throat; fever or chills; hearing changes or loss of hearing; mouth sores; muscle weakness; numbness or tingling of your fingers or toes; pain in the bones, muscles, or jaw; pain, redness, or swelling at the injection site; seizures; stomach pain; trouble urinating; unusual bruising or bleeding; vision changes or loss of vision.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include seizures.Proper storage of Vincasar PFS :
Vincasar PFS is usually handled and stored by a health care provider. If you are using Vincasar PFS at home, store Vincasar PFS as directed by your pharmacist or health care provider.
- If you have any questions about Vincasar PFS , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Vincasar PFS is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Vincasar PFS . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Vincasar PFS Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Vincasar PFS Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Vincristine Prescribing Information (FDA)