Veetids Generic Name: Penicillin V Potassium
(PEN-i-SIL-in V poe-TAS-ee-um)Brand Name:
Examples include Penicillin-VK and Veetids
Veetids is used for:
Treating some types of infections caused by certain bacteria.
Veetids is a penicillin antibiotic. It works by interfering with the formation of the bacteria's cell wall while it is growing. This weakens the cell wall and kills the bacteria.
Do NOT use Veetids if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Veetids or to other penicillins
- you are taking a tetracycline antibiotic
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Veetids :
Some medical conditions may interact with Veetids . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have diarrhea or a stomach infection, especially in children 9 years old or younger
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Veetids . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Chloramphenicol, guar gum, or tetracyclines because they may decrease Veetids 's effectiveness
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) or methotrexate because their actions and the risk of their side effects may be increased by Veetids
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin), oral contraceptives (birth control pills), or chloramphenicol because their effectiveness may be decreased by Veetids
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Veetids may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Veetids :
Use Veetids as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Veetids by mouth. Veetids is best absorbed when taken on an empty stomach (1 hour before or 2 hours after meals), but may be taken with food.
- Veetids works best if it is taken at the same time each day.
- To clear up your infection completely, take Veetids for the full course of treatment. Keep taking it even if you feel better in a few days.
- Do not miss any doses. If you miss a dose of Veetids , take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Veetids .
Important safety information:
- Do not take Veetids if you have had a severe allergic reaction to a penicillin antibiotic (eg, amoxicillin, ampicillin) or a cephalosporin antibiotic (eg, cefaclor, cephalexin, cefuroxime, cefadroxil). A severe allergic reaction includes a severe rash, hives, breathing difficulties, or dizziness. Ask your health care provider if you are unsure if you are allergic to Veetids .
- Long-term or repeated use of Veetids may cause a second infection. Tell your doctor if signs of a second infection occur. Your medicine may need to be changed to treat this.
- Mild diarrhea is common with antibiotic use. However, a more serious form of diarrhea (pseudomembranous colitis) may rarely occur. This may develop while you use the antibiotic or within several months after you stop using it. Contact your doctor right away if stomach pain or cramps, severe diarrhea, or bloody stools occur. Do not treat diarrhea without first checking with your doctor.
- Diabetes patients - Veetids may cause the results of some tests for urine glucose to be wrong. Ask your doctor before you change your diet or the dose of your diabetes medicine.
- Hormonal birth control (eg, birth control pills) may not work as well while you are using Veetids . To prevent pregnancy, use an extra form of birth control (eg, condoms).
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Veetids while you are pregnant. Veetids is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Veetids , check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Veetids :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Black, hairy tongue; irritation of the mouth or throat; mild diarrhea; nausea; upset stomach; vomiting.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); bloody stools or urine; fever, chills, or persistent sore throat; severe or persistent diarrhea; stomach pain or cramps; unusual bruising or bleeding; vaginal irritation or itching; worsening of skin lesions.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include diarrhea; nausea; vomiting.Proper storage of Veetids :
Store Veetids at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C) in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Veetids out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Veetids , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Veetids is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Veetids . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Veetids Consumer Overview
- Veetids Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Veetids Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Beepen-VK Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Pfizerpen Prescribing Information (FDA)