Thyrolar Generic Name: Liotrix
Thyrolar , used alone or in combination with other medicines, should not be used to treat obesity or for weight loss. Large doses may cause serious or life-threatening side effects, particularly when used with other medicines that reduce the appetite.
Thyrolar is used for:
Treating low thyroid activity, treating or suppressing different types of goiters, and aiding diagnosis of certain thyroid conditions. It may also be used to treat other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Thyrolar is a thyroid hormone. It works by supplementing the natural thyroid hormones in the body.
Do NOT use Thyrolar if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Thyrolar
- you have had or are having a heart attack, you have thyrotoxicosis (a condition characterized by chest pain, increased heartbeat, pounding in the chest, excessive sweating, heat intolerance, and nervousness), or untreated adrenal gland problems
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Thyrolar :
Some medical conditions may interact with Thyrolar . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you are planning to have surgery
- if you have heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, an overactive thyroid, a long-standing condition of underactive thyroid, or myxedema (a condition characterized by chest pain, increased heart rate, pounding in the chest, excessive sweating, heat intolerance, and nervousness)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Thyrolar . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Estrogens or iron salts (eg, ferrous sulfate) because the effectiveness of Thyrolar may be decreased
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) because the actions and side effects may be increased by Thyrolar
- Digitalis glycosides (eg, digoxin), hypoglycemics (eg, glipizide), or insulin because the effectiveness may be decreased by Thyrolar
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Thyrolar may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Thyrolar :
Use Thyrolar as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Thyrolar may be taken with or without food.
- Try to take Thyrolar at the same time each day.
- Take Thyrolar at least 4 hours apart from calcium salts (eg, calcium carbonate), cholestyramine, or colestipol.
- It may take several (4 to 6) weeks for you to notice the benefits of Thyrolar .
- If you miss a dose of Thyrolar , take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Thyrolar .
Important safety information:
- Check with your doctor if you experience trembling or shaking of hands, nervousness, difficulty sleeping, headache, change in appetite, diarrhea, weight loss, increased sweating, increased sensitivity to heat, increased heart rate, chest pain, or shortness of breath. These symptoms may mean that your dose needs to be adjusted. Do not adjust your dose or stop taking Thyrolar without checking with your doctor.
- Thyrolar is usually taken for life, except in the cases of temporary low thyroid activity associated with thyroid inflammation or if you are taking Thyrolar on a trial basis.
- If you are taking blood thinners when you start taking Thyrolar , lab tests will be required to determine a dose adjustment in the blood thinners.
- Before you have any medical or dental treatments, emergency care, or surgery, tell the doctor or dentist that you are using Thyrolar .
- Diabetes patients - Thyrolar may affect your blood sugar. Check blood sugar levels closely and ask your doctor before adjusting the dose of your diabetes medicine.
- LAB TESTS, including thyroid function tests, may be performed to monitor your progress. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Thyrolar with caution in the ELDERLY because they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Thyrolar during pregnancy. Thyrolar is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding, check with your doctor to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Thyrolar :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Partial, temporary hair loss in children.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); changes in appetite; changes in menstrual periods; changes in weight; chest pain; diarrhea; excessive sweating; inability to tolerate warm or hot room/weather conditions; increased heart rate; nervousness; pounding in the chest; tremors; vomiting.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include diarrhea; fast heart rate; nervousness; stomach cramps; trouble sleeping; weight loss.Proper storage of Thyrolar :
Store Thyrolar in the refrigerator, between 36 and 46 degrees F (2 and 8 degrees C). Do not freeze. Keep in a tight, light-resistant container. Keep Thyrolar out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Thyrolar , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Thyrolar is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Thyrolar . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Liotrix Professional Patient Advice (Wolters Kluwer)
- liotrix Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- liotrix Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information