Terbinafine Generic Name:
Terbinafine (TER-bin-a-feen)Brand Name:
Terbinafine is used for:
Treating fungal infections of the fingernails and toenails.
Terbinafine is an antifungal agent. It works by killing sensitive fungi.
Do NOT use Terbinafine if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Terbinafine
- you have severe kidney problems or a history of liver problems
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Terbinafine :
Some medical conditions may interact with Terbinafine . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of kidney problems, lupus, psoriasis, or alcohol abuse or dependence
- if you have a weakened immune system
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Terbinafine . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Cimetidine because it may increase the risk of Terbinafine 's side effects
- Rifampin because it may decrease Terbinafine 's effectiveness
- Antiarrhythmics (eg, flecainide, propafenone), beta-blockers (eg, metoprolol), monoamine oxidase type B (MAO-B) inhibitors (eg, selegiline), selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) (eg, fluoxetine), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Terbinafine
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) because their effectiveness may be decreased or the risk of their side effects may be increased by Terbinafine
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Terbinafine may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Terbinafine :
Use Terbinafine as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Terbinafine by mouth with or without food.
- Terbinafine is usually taken for 6 to 12 weeks depending on your condition. Maximum benefits may not be seen for several months after discontinuing treatment; this includes the time period necessary for the outgrowth of healthy nail.
- To clear up your infection completely, take Terbinafine for the full course of treatment. Keep taking it even if you begin to see improvement before the end of your therapy.
- If you miss a dose of Terbinafine , take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Terbinafine .
Important safety information:
- Avoid large amounts of food or drink that have caffeine (eg, coffee, tea, cocoa, cola, chocolate) while you are taking Terbinafine .
- Lab tests, such as liver function tests, may be performed while you use Terbinafine . These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Terbinafine should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Do not use Terbinafine if you are pregnant. If you think you may be pregnant, contact your doctor right away. Terbinafine is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Terbinafine .
Possible side effects of Terbinafine :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Diarrhea; headache; indigestion; taste changes.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue; unusual hoarseness); red, blistered, peeling, or swollen skin; symptoms of infection (eg, fever, chills, sore throat); symptoms of liver problems (eg, dark urine; loss of appetite; pale stools; stomach pain; unexplained, persistent nausea; unusual tiredness; vomiting; yellowing of the skin or eyes); unusual bruising or bleeding; vision changes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include dizziness; frequent urination; nausea; rash; severe or persistent headache; stomach pain; vomiting.Proper storage of Terbinafine :
Store Terbinafine below 77 degrees F (25 degrees C) in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Terbinafine out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Terbinafine , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Terbinafine is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Terbinafine . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Terbinafine Professional Patient Advice (Wolters Kluwer)
- Terbinafine Prescribing Information (FDA)
- terbinafine Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Lamisil Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Lamisil Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Lamisil Consumer Overview