Tekturna HCT Generic Name: Aliskiren/Hydrochlorothiazide
Tekturna HCT may cause injury or death to the fetus if you take it while you are pregnant. If you think you may be pregnant, contact your doctor right away.
Tekturna HCT is used for:
Treating high blood pressure in certain patients. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Tekturna HCT is a direct renin inhibitor and thiazide diuretic combination. The direct renin-inhibitor works by relaxing blood vessels. The diuretic helps the kidneys to remove fluid from the body, which lowers blood pressure and helps the heart to pump blood more easily.
Do NOT use Tekturna HCT if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Tekturna HCT
- you have a history of angioedema (swelling of the hands, face, lips, eyes, throat, or tongue; difficulty swallowing or breathing; or hoarseness) caused by treatment with Tekturna HCT
- you are pregnant
- you have severe kidney problems or you are unable to urinate
- you are taking cyclosporine, dofetilide, or ketanserin
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Tekturna HCT :
Some medical conditions may interact with Tekturna HCT . Tell your health care provider if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have had a severe allergic reaction (eg, rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue) to a sulfonamide medicine (eg, sulfamethoxazole) or to an angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor (eg, enalapril)
- if you have a history of angioedema (swelling of the hands, face, lips, eyes, throat, or tongue; difficulty swallowing or breathing; or hoarseness)
- if you have a history of gout, lupus, diabetes, asthma, heart problems, kidney or liver problems, kidney stones, parathyroid gland problems, or high blood cholesterol or lipid levels
- if you are a woman of childbearing age
- if you are dehydrated, receive dialysis treatment, or you have low blood volume
- if you are on a low-salt (sodium) diet
- if you have blood electrolyte problems (eg, sodium, potassium, magnesium, calcium)
- if you take another medicine for high blood pressure or if you take a blood thinner (eg, warfarin)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Tekturna HCT . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Digoxin, dofetilide, or ketanserin because the risk of irregular heartbeat may be increased
- Potassium supplements because the risk of high blood potassium may be increased
- ACE inhibitors (eg, lisinopril), azole antifungals (eg, ketoconazole), barbiturates (eg, phenobarbital), corticosteroids (eg, prednisone), corticotropin, cyclosporine, other diuretics (eg, furosemide), certain HMG-CoA inhibitors (eg, atorvastatin), medicines for heart problems, other medicines for high blood pressure, or narcotic pain medicines (eg, codeine) because they may increase the risk of Tekturna HCT 's side effects, including low blood pressure
- Cholestyramine, colestipol, irbesartan, or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) (eg, ibuprofen) because they may decrease Tekturna HCT 's effectiveness
- Diazoxide or lithium because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Tekturna HCT
- Insulin or other medicines for diabetes because their effectiveness may be decreased by Tekturna HCT
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Tekturna HCT may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Tekturna HCT :
Use Tekturna HCT as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with Tekturna HCT . Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Take Tekturna HCT by mouth with or without food. Take Tekturna HCT the same way (either with or without food) each time you take it.
- Taking Tekturna HCT with foods that are high in fat may decrease its effectiveness. Discuss any questions or concerns with your doctor.
- Take Tekturna HCT on a regular schedule to get the most benefit from it.
- Tekturna HCT works best if it is taken at the same time each day.
- Continue to take Tekturna HCT even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of Tekturna HCT , take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Tekturna HCT .
Important safety information:
- Tekturna HCT may cause dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Tekturna HCT with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Tekturna HCT may cause dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting; alcohol, hot weather, exercise, or fever may increase these effects. To prevent them, sit up or stand slowly, especially in the morning. Sit or lie down at the first sign of any of these effects.
- Check with your doctor before you drink alcohol or use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using Tekturna HCT ; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- Dehydration, excessive sweating, vomiting, or diarrhea may increase the risk of low blood pressure. Contact your health care provider at once if any of these occur.
- Tekturna HCT may cause a serious side effect called angioedema. Contact your doctor at once if you develop swelling of the hands, face, lips, eyes, throat, or tongue; difficulty swallowing or breathing; or hoarseness.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Tekturna HCT before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Patients who take medicine for high blood pressure often feel tired or run down for a few weeks after starting treatment. Be sure to take your medicine even if you may not feel "normal." Tell your doctor if you develop any new symptoms.
- Tekturna HCT may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to Tekturna HCT . Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- If you have high blood pressure, do not use nonprescription products that contain stimulants. These products may include diet pills or cold medicines. Contact your doctor if you have any questions or concerns.
- Check with your doctor before you use a salt substitute or a product that has potassium in it.
- Diabetes patients - Tekturna HCT may affect your blood sugar. Check blood sugar levels closely. Ask your doctor before you change the dose of your diabetes medicine.
- Tekturna HCT may interfere with certain lab tests, including parathyroid function. Be sure your doctor and lab personnel know you are taking Tekturna HCT .
- Lab tests, including blood pressure, blood electrolyte levels, and kidney function, may be performed while you use Tekturna HCT . These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Tekturna HCT should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 18 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY AND BREAST-FEEDING: Tekturna HCT may cause birth defects or fetal death if you take it while you are pregnant. If you think you may be pregnant, contact your doctor right away. Tekturna HCT is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Tekturna HCT .
Possible side effects of Tekturna HCT :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Cough; dizziness; flu-like symptoms (eg, headache, muscle or joint aches, tiredness); mild diarrhea.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); decreased urination; fainting; fever, chills, or persistent sore throat; increased thirst; irregular heartbeat; muscle pain or cramps; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin; severe or persistent dizziness; severe or persistent nausea or stomach pain; shortness of breath; unusual bruising or bleeding; unusual tiredness or weakness; unusually dry mouth; yellowing of the eyes or skin.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include fainting; muscle cramps; severe dizziness or lightheadedness; very dry mouth; weak or irregular heartbeat; weakness.Proper storage of Tekturna HCT :
Store Tekturna HCT at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Tekturna HCT out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Tekturna HCT , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Tekturna HCT is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Tekturna HCT . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Tekturna HCT Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Tekturna HCT Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Tekturna HCT Consumer Overview