Supprelin LA ImplantGeneric Name: Histrelin
Supprelin LA Implant is used for:
Treating central precocious puberty (CPP) in children.
Supprelin LA Implant is a synthetic analogue of gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) agonist. It works by decreasing the production of certain hormones, which reduces estrogen and testosterone levels in the body.
Do NOT use Supprelin LA Implant if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Supprelin LA Implant or other medicines containing GnRH
- you are pregnant or able to become pregnant
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Supprelin LA Implant:
Some medical conditions may interact with Supprelin LA Implant. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have urinary tract blockage or metastatic vertebral lesions
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Supprelin LA Implant. However, no specific interactions with Supprelin LA Implant are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Supprelin LA Implant may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Supprelin LA Implant:
Use Supprelin LA Implant as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with Supprelin LA Implant. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Supprelin LA Implant is inserted in a doctor's office, hospital, or clinic.
- This implant is a small, thin, flexible tube that is placed under the skin of the inside of the upper arm. It delivers medicine to your body continuously for 12 months.
- If your child misses a dose of Supprelin LA Implant, contact your doctor right away.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Supprelin LA Implant.
Important safety information:
- The cut where the implant is placed will be covered with stitches, surgical tape, and a bandage. Do not remove the surgical strips. Allow the strips to fall off on their own after a few days.
- After the implant is in place, keep the arm clean and dry for 24 hours. Do not bathe or swim for 24 hours. Keep the bandage in place for a few days until the cut heals. Avoid heavy play or exercise for 7 days. Avoid bumping the site for a few days.
- Your child may have pain, redness, or some bruising at the insertion site of the implant. This usually goes away without treatment within 2 weeks. Call your doctor if you have unusual or prolonged bleeding, redness, or pain.
- After 12 months, your doctor will remove the implant. Your doctor may insert a new implant to continue treatment.
- Your doctor will check your condition during treatment to be sure the implant is present and functioning.
- Rarely, the implant may be expelled through the insertion site. If you think this may have occurred, call your doctor at once.
- You may notice more signs of puberty in your child, including light vaginal bleeding and breast enlargement in girls during the first few weeks of starting Supprelin LA Implant. Within 4 weeks of starting Supprelin LA Implant, you should see signs that puberty is stopping in your child.
- Supprelin LA Implant may interfere with certain lab tests. Be sure your doctor and lab personnel know you are using Supprelin LA Implant.
- Lab tests, including luteinizing hormone (LH), follicle stimulating hormone (FSH), estradiol, testosterone levels, or height and bone age may be performed to monitor your progress or to check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Supprelin LA Implant is not recommended for use in CHILDREN younger than 2 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Do not use Supprelin LA Implant if you are pregnant. It may cause harm to the fetus. Avoid becoming pregnant while you are taking it. If you think you may be pregnant, contact your doctor right away. Supprelin LA Implant is intended for use in children.
Possible side effects of Supprelin LA Implant:
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Supprelin LA Implant. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Breast growth or tenderness; bruising, soreness, pain, tingling, itching or swelling at the insertion site; headache; weight gain.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); bleeding, severe pain, redness, or swelling at the insertion site; feeling cold; flu-like symptoms (eg, chills, cough, fever, headache, muscle aches); migraines; mood changes; nosebleeds; severe menstrual pain; spotting, or unusually heavy or prolonged menstrual periods; severe or persistent redness or itching.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Supprelin LA Implant:
Store Supprelin LA Implant in the refrigerator between 36 and 46 degrees F (2 and 8 degrees C) in the unopened glass vial in the plastic pouch and carton. Protect from light. Do not freeze. Keep Supprelin LA Implant out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Supprelin LA Implant, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Supprelin LA Implant is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Supprelin LA Implant. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.