Somatuline Depot Generic Name: Lanreotide
Somatuline Depot is used for:
Treating certain patients with acromegaly. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Somatuline Depot is a somatostatin analog. It works by reducing the levels of certain hormones (eg, growth hormone, insulin-like growth factor-1) in the blood.
Do NOT use Somatuline Depot if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Somatuline Depot
- you are allergic to latex or rubber
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Somatuline Depot :
Some medical conditions may interact with Somatuline Depot . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of gallstones or gallbladder problems, liver problems, underactive thyroid, heart problems (eg, slow heartbeat, heart valve problems), high blood pressure, or pancreas problems
- if you have a history of kidney problems or are on dialysis
- if you have diabetes or use insulin or other medicine to lower your blood sugar
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Somatuline Depot . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Beta-blockers (eg, propranolol) because the risk of slow heartbeat may be increased
- Bromocriptine, quinidine, or terfenadine because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Somatuline Depot
- Cyclosporine because its effectiveness may be decreased by Somatuline Depot
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Somatuline Depot may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Somatuline Depot :
Use Somatuline Depot as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with Somatuline Depot . Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Somatuline Depot is usually given as an injection every 4 weeks at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic.
- Do not use Somatuline Depot if it contains particles, is discolored, or if the vial is cracked or damaged.
- Keep this product, as well as syringes and needles, out of the reach of children and pets. Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials. Ask your health care provider how to dispose of these materials after use. Follow all local rules for disposal.
- If you miss a dose of Somatuline Depot , contact your doctor right away.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Somatuline Depot .
Important safety information:
- Diabetes patients - Somatuline Depot may affect your blood sugar. Check blood sugar levels closely and ask your doctor before adjusting the dose of your diabetes medicine.
- Somatuline Depot may lower your blood sugar levels. Low blood sugar may make you anxious, sweaty, weak, dizzy, drowsy, or faint. It may also make your heart beat faster; make your vision change; give you a headache, chills, or tremors; or make you more hungry. If these symptoms occur, tell your doctor right away.
- Somatuline Depot may raise your blood sugar. High blood sugar may make you feel confused, drowsy, or thirsty. It can also make you flush, breathe faster, or have a fruit-like breath odor. If these symptoms occur, tell your doctor right away.
- Lab tests, including growth hormone levels, blood sugar levels, and thyroid function tests, may be performed to monitor your progress or to check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Somatuline Depot should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you think you may be pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Somatuline Depot while you are pregnant. It is not known if Somatuline Depot is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Somatuline Depot .
Possible side effects of Somatuline Depot :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Constipation; diarrhea; gas; headache; joint pain; minor redness, pain, or swelling at the injection site; nausea; stomach pain or discomfort; vomiting; weight loss.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); blurred vision; dizziness; severe or persistent headache; severe or persistent nausea, stomach pain, or vomiting; slow or irregular heartbeat; unusual tiredness or weakness.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Somatuline Depot :
Somatuline Depot is usually handled and stored by a health care provider. If you are using Somatuline Depot at home, store Somatuline Depot as directed by your pharmacist or health care provider. Keep Somatuline Depot , as well as syringes and needles, out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Somatuline Depot , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Somatuline Depot is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Somatuline Depot . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Somatuline Depot Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Somatuline Depot Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Somatuline Depot Consumer Overview