Soma Compound with Codeine Generic Name: Aspirin/Carisoprodol/Codeine
Soma Compound with Codeine
Soma Compound with Codeine is used for:
Relieving pain, muscle spasm, and limited movement caused by acute painful conditions of the bone and muscle.
Soma Compound with Codeine is a muscle relaxant and analgesic combination. It works by blocking prostaglandin synthesis, which helps to reduce pain and inflammation. The sedative properties of carisoprodol produce muscle relaxation and codeine stimulates the opiate receptors in the central nervous system, which also helps to relieve pain.
Do NOT use Soma Compound with Codeine if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Soma Compound with Codeine , nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), or to a carbamate (eg, meprobamate)
- you have a history of serious stomach and intestinal problems (eg, bleeding, perforations, obstruction) caused by aspirin use
- you have a history of bleeding or clotting disorders (eg, hemophilia, porphyria, von Willebrand disease)
- you have a history of aspirin-induced asthma
- you are taking dabigatran, ketorolac, quinidine, sodium oxybate (GHB), or if you have received a live vaccine (eg, varicella, influenza) within the past 6 weeks
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Soma Compound with Codeine :
Some medical conditions may interact with Soma Compound with Codeine . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of asthma, difficulty urinating,an enlarged prostate, a lung disorder or respiratory depression, diabetes, growths in the nose (eg, nasal polyps), liver or kidney problems, an underactive thyroid, Kawasaki syndrome, or heart problems,
- if you have a history of stomach or intestinal problems (eg, ulcers), intestinal bleeding, recent abdominal surgery, the blood disease porphyria, or decreased amounts of vitamin K in the blood
- if you have recently had any head injury, bleeding in the brain, brain injury or tumor, increased pressure in the brain, an infection of the brain or nervous system, stroke, or seizures
- if you have chickenpox, flu, or other viral illness
- if you regularly consume alcohol, have a history of alcohol or other substance abuse or dependence, or have had suicidal thoughts
- if you are taking anticoagulants (eg, heparin, warfarin) or NSAIDs (eg, ibuprofen)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Soma Compound with Codeine . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Benzodiazepines (eg, alprazolam), cimetidine, opioid analgesics (eg, hydrocodone), sodium oxybate (GHB), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because severe drowsiness, difficult or slow breathing, or seizures may occur
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin), celecoxib, clopidogrel, dabigatran, heparin, ketorolac, or selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) (eg, fluoxetine) because the risk of bleeding may be increased
- Live vaccines (eg, influenza , varicella) because the risk of Reyes syndrome may be increased
- Fluvoxamine, HIV protease inhibitors (eg, indinavir), meprobamate, NSAIDs (eg, ibuprofen), or omeprazole because they may increase the risk of Soma Compound with Codeine 's side effects
- Antacids, corticosteroids (eg, prednisone), naltrexone, quinidine, rifampin, St. John's wort, or urinary alkalinizers (eg, sodium bicarbonate), because they may decrease Soma Compound with Codeine 's effectiveness
- Carbonic anhydrase inhibitors (eg, acetazolamide), insulin, meglitinide antidiabetics (eg, repaglinide), methotrexate, sulfonylureas (eg, glipizide), or valproic acid because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Soma Compound with Codeine
- Probenecid, spironolactone, or sulfinpyrazone because their effectiveness may be decreased by Soma Compound with Codeine
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Soma Compound with Codeine may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Soma Compound with Codeine :
Use Soma Compound with Codeine as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Soma Compound with Codeine by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- If you miss a dose of Soma Compound with Codeine and you are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If several hours have passed or it is nearing time for the next dose, do not double the dose to catch up, unless advised by your health care provider. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Soma Compound with Codeine .
Important safety information:
- Soma Compound with Codeine may cause drowsiness or dizziness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Soma Compound with Codeine with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Soma Compound with Codeine has aspirin in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has aspirin in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Do not drink alcohol or use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using Soma Compound with Codeine ; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- Soma Compound with Codeine may cause dizziness or fainting; alcohol, hot weather, exercise, or fever may increase these effects. To prevent them, sit up or stand slowly, especially in the morning. Sit or lie down at the first sign of any of these effects.
- Talk to your doctor before you take Soma Compound with Codeine if you drink more than 3 drinks with alcohol per day.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Soma Compound with Codeine before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Soma Compound with Codeine may cause stomach bleeding. Your risk may be greater if you drink alcohol while you are using Soma Compound with Codeine .
- Rarely, some patients have experienced an unexpected reaction within minutes or hours after taking Soma Compound with Codeine . Contact your doctor or seek medical care right away if you develop severe weakness, paralysis of the arms or legs, severe dizziness, loss of coordination, vision changes (eg, loss of vision, double vision), joint pain, or mental or mood changes (eg, agitation, confusion, disorientation).
- Aspirin has been linked to a serious illness called Reye syndrome. Do not give Soma Compound with Codeine to a child or teenager who has the flu, chickenpox, or a viral infection. Do not give the flu vaccine to a child or teenager who is taking Soma Compound with Codeine . Contact your doctor with any questions or concerns.
- Diabetes patients - Soma Compound with Codeine may affect your blood sugar. Check blood sugar levels closely. Ask your doctor before you change the dose of your diabetes medicine.
- Use Soma Compound with Codeine with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially bleeding and swelling of the prostate.
- Soma Compound with Codeine should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Soma Compound with Codeine while you are pregnant. Soma Compound with Codeine is not recommended during the last 3 months (third trimester) of pregnancy because it may cause harm to the fetus. Soma Compound with Codeine is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Soma Compound with Codeine .
Some people who use Soma Compound with Codeine for a long time may develop a need to continue taking it. People who take high doses are also at risk. This is known as DEPENDENCE or addiction.
If you suddenly stop taking Soma Compound with Codeine , you may experience WITHDRAWAL symptoms including nausea; stomach cramps; trouble sleeping; chills; and headache.
Possible side effects of Soma Compound with Codeine :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; headache; indigestion; lightheadedness; nausea; mild stomach pain or upset; vomiting.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); black, tarry, or bloody stools; blurred vision; fainting; fast heartbeat; fever, chills, or persistent sore throat; loss of coordination; mood or mental changes (eg, agitation, depression, irritability); ringing in the ears; seizures; severe or persistent dizziness, drowsiness, or stomach pain; severe or persistent trouble sleeping; shallow or very slow breathing; tremors; unusual bruising or bleeding; vomit that looks like coffee grounds; wheezing.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include confusion; fever; irregular heartbeat; loss of consciousness; ringing in the ears; seizures; unusual drowsiness or dizziness.Proper storage of Soma Compound with Codeine :
Store Soma Compound with Codeine at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Soma Compound with Codeine out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Soma Compound with Codeine , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Soma Compound with Codeine is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Soma Compound with Codeine . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Soma Compound with Codeine Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)