Sodium Sulfacetamide/Sulfur FoamGeneric Name:
Sodium Sulfacetamide/Sulfur (SO-dee-um SUL-fa-SEET-a-mide/SUL-fur)Brand Name:
Sodium Sulfacetamide/Sulfur Foam is used for:
Treating acne, rosacea, and seborrhea. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Sodium Sulfacetamide/Sulfur Foam is an antibacterial and keratolytic combination. The antibacterial works by killing sensitive bacteria. The keratolytic helps to loosen and shed hard, scaly skin.
Do NOT use Sodium Sulfacetamide/Sulfur Foam if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Sodium Sulfacetamide/Sulfur Foam or to sulfonamides (eg, sulfamethoxazole)
- you have kidney problems
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Sodium Sulfacetamide/Sulfur Foam:
Some medical conditions may interact with Sodium Sulfacetamide/Sulfur Foam. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have eczema
- if the skin at the application site is scraped, cut, or damaged
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Sodium Sulfacetamide/Sulfur Foam. Because little, if any, of Sodium Sulfacetamide/Sulfur Foam is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if Sodium Sulfacetamide/Sulfur Foam may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Sodium Sulfacetamide/Sulfur Foam:
Use Sodium Sulfacetamide/Sulfur Foam as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Before the first use of a new container, you will need to prime the container. Hold the can upright and point it away from yourself and others. Press the spray button down for 3 to 5 seconds or until foam begins to appear.
- Wash the affected skin and gently pat dry with a clean towel before each use of Sodium Sulfacetamide/Sulfur Foam.
- Shake well before each use.
- Hold the container upright. Dispense a small amount of the medicine onto your fingertips. Gently massage the foam into the affected area.
- If your doctor has told you to leave Sodium Sulfacetamide/Sulfur Foam on, be sure to wipe off any excess medicine after you apply it.
- If your doctor has told you to wash Sodium Sulfacetamide/Sulfur Foam off, wait 10 minutes after you apply it, then rinse with water and pat dry.
- Wash your hands immediately after using Sodium Sulfacetamide/Sulfur Foam, unless your hands are part of the affected area.
- Use Sodium Sulfacetamide/Sulfur Foam on a regular schedule to get the most benefit from it.
- Continue to use Sodium Sulfacetamide/Sulfur Foam even if your condition improves. Do not miss any doses
- If you miss a dose of Sodium Sulfacetamide/Sulfur Foam, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Sodium Sulfacetamide/Sulfur Foam.
Important safety information:
- Sodium Sulfacetamide/Sulfur Foam is for external use only. Do not get it in your eyes or on the inside of your nose or mouth. If you get Sodium Sulfacetamide/Sulfur Foam in any of these areas, rinse them immediately with cool water.
- Talk with your doctor before you use any other medicines or cleansers on your skin.
- Do not apply Sodium Sulfacetamide/Sulfur Foam over large areas of the body or to open wounds or scraped, infected, or burned skin without first checking with your doctor.
- Do not use Sodium Sulfacetamide/Sulfur Foam for other skin conditions at a later time.
- Sodium Sulfacetamide/Sulfur Foam may be harmful if swallowed. If you may have taken it by mouth, contact your poison control center or emergency room right away.
- Sodium Sulfacetamide/Sulfur Foam should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is not known if Sodium Sulfacetamide/Sulfur Foam can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Sodium Sulfacetamide/Sulfur Foam while you are pregnant. It is not known if Sodium Sulfacetamide/Sulfur Foam is found in breast milk after topical use. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Sodium Sulfacetamide/Sulfur Foam, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Sodium Sulfacetamide/Sulfur Foam:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Mild redness or peeling of the skin.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); fever, chills, or sore throat; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin; severe or persistent skin irritation; unusual tiredness or weakness; yellowing of the skin or eyes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center ( http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Sodium Sulfacetamide/Sulfur Foam may be harmful if swallowed. Symptoms of ingestion may include change in the amount of urine; nausea; vomiting.Proper storage of Sodium Sulfacetamide/Sulfur Foam:
Store Sodium Sulfacetamide/Sulfur Foam at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Do not freeze. Avoid temperatures above 120 degrees F (49 degrees C). Store away from heat and direct sunlight. Do not puncture, break, or burn the canister even if it appears to be empty. Keep Sodium Sulfacetamide/Sulfur Foam out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Sodium Sulfacetamide/Sulfur Foam, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Sodium Sulfacetamide/Sulfur Foam is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Sodium Sulfacetamide/Sulfur Foam. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.