Sodium Phosphates SolutionGeneric Name:
Sodium Phosphates (SOE-dee-um FOS-fates)Brand Name:
Sodium Phosphates Solution is used for:
Cleansing the bowel before certain medical procedures. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Sodium Phosphates Solution is a saline laxative. It works by pulling water from the body into the bowel, which helps to soften the stool and cause a bowel movement.
Do NOT use Sodium Phosphates Solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Sodium Phosphates Solution
- you have a blockage of the bowel or other severe bowel problems, congestive heart failure, kidney failure, or too much phosphate in the blood
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Sodium Phosphates Solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Sodium Phosphates Solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you are on a sodium-restricted diet or have a history of stomach or bowel problems
- if you have appendicitis, liver or kidney problems, high blood pressure, low parathyroid function, bone problems (eg, osteomalacia), muscle problems (eg, rhabdomyolysis), pancreas problems, a kidney or bladder infection, kidney stones, electrolyte problems (eg, low blood calcium), a colostomy, nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, or a sudden change in bowel movements lasting longer than 2 weeks
- if you have already used a laxative for more than 1 week
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Sodium Phosphates Solution. However, no specific interactions with Sodium Phosphates Solution are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Sodium Phosphates Solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Sodium Phosphates Solution:
Use Sodium Phosphates Solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Sodium Phosphates Solution by mouth on an empty stomach at least 1 hour before or 2 hours after eating.
- Dilute the dose of Sodium Phosphates Solution with a half-glass (4 oz/120 mL) of cold water, then drink all of the liquid. Follow with a full glass of water (8 oz/240 mL).
- Do not use more than 1 dose of Sodium Phosphates Solution within 24 hours, unless instructed differently by your doctor.
- If you miss a dose of Sodium Phosphates Solution, contact your doctor immediately.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Sodium Phosphates Solution.
Important safety information:
- Stop using Sodium Phosphates Solution and contact your doctor if you have rectal bleeding or fail to have a bowel movement after using Sodium Phosphates Solution. These symptoms may indicate a serious condition.
- Sodium Phosphates Solution should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 5 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Sodium Phosphates Solution while you are pregnant. It is not known if Sodium Phosphates Solution is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Sodium Phosphates Solution, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Sodium Phosphates Solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Diarrhea; gas; nausea; stomach cramps.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); blood in the stools; continued constipation; dizziness; vomiting; weakness.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Sodium Phosphates Solution:
Store Sodium Phosphates Solution at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Keep Sodium Phosphates Solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Sodium Phosphates Solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Sodium Phosphates Solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Sodium Phosphates Solution. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.