Senexon LiquidGeneric Name: Sennosides
Examples include Senexon and Senokot
Senexon Liquid is used for:
Senexon Liquid is a stimulant laxative. It works by irritating bowel tissues, resulting in bowel movements.
Do NOT use Senexon Liquid if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Senexon Liquid
- you have had recent abdominal surgery or require immediate abdominal surgery
- you have appendicitis; bleeding of the stomach, intestine, or rectum; or an obstruction in your intestines (fecal impaction)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Senexon Liquid:
Some medical conditions may interact with Senexon Liquid. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have congestive heart failure, you are experiencing nausea or vomiting, or you have undiagnosed stomach pain
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Senexon Liquid. However, no specific interactions with Senexon Liquid are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Senexon Liquid may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Senexon Liquid:
Use Senexon Liquid as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Senexon Liquid by mouth with or without food.
- Take Senexon Liquid with a full glass of water (8 oz/240 mL). Drinking extra fluids while you are taking Senexon Liquid is recommended. Check with your doctor for instructions.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- It is best to take Senexon Liquid at bedtime.
- If you miss a dose of Senexon Liquid, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Senexon Liquid.
Important safety information:
- A bowel movement usually occurs in 6 to 12 hours.
- Do not use for longer than 1 week without checking with your doctor.
- Using Senexon Liquid for a long time may result in loss of normal bowel function.
- Do not take additional laxatives or stool softeners with Senexon Liquid unless directed by your doctor.
- If you notice a sudden change in bowel habits that lasts for 2 weeks or more, stop using Senexon Liquid and check with your doctor.
- Senexon Liquid may discolor the urine pink to red, or yellow to brown.
- Senexon Liquid should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 6 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Senexon Liquid while you are pregnant. It is not known if Senexon Liquid is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Senexon Liquid, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Overuse of laxatives can lead to a DEPENDENCE on laxatives to have a bowel movement. In severe overuse cases, some laxatives have caused damage to the intestines and bowel.
Possible side effects of Senexon Liquid:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Abdominal discomfort or cramping; diarrhea; nausea.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); kidney inflammation; poor bowel function; rectal bleeding.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Senexon Liquid:
Store Senexon Liquid at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Keep Senexon Liquid out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Senexon Liquid, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Senexon Liquid is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Senexon Liquid. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Senna Professional Patient Advice (Wolters Kluwer)
- Senna Natural MedFacts for Professionals (Wolters Kluwer)
- Senna Natural MedFacts for Consumers (Wolters Kluwer)
- Black Draught Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)