Semprex-D Generic Name: Acrivastine/Pseudoephedrine
Semprex-D is used for:
Relieving symptoms associated with allergies, including sneezing, runny nose, itching, watery eyes, and nasal stuffiness. It may also be used for certain conditions as determined by your doctor.
Semprex-D is an antihistamine and decongestant combination. It works by blocking histamine at H1 receptor sites and causes vasoconstriction and shrinkage of the nasal mucous membranes, which helps to promote nasal drainage and relieve watery eyes, runny nose, and sneezing.
Do NOT use Semprex-D if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Semprex-D
- you have severe high blood pressure or severe heart disease
- you are taking furazolidone or a monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitor (eg, phenelzine) or have taken an MAO inhibitor within the last 14 days
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Semprex-D :
Some medical conditions may interact with Semprex-D . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have high blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes, overactive thyroid, or glaucoma
- if you have kidney problems, blockage of the stomach or bowel, peptic ulcers, urinary tract problems, prostate disease, or difficulty urinating
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Semprex-D . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Beta-blockers (eg, propranolol), certain stimulants, (eg, albuterol, amphetamine, phenylephrine), furazolidone, or MAO inhibitors (eg, phenelzine), because side effects may be increased and potentially life-threatening high blood pressure may occur. Do NOT take MAO inhibitors or furazolidone within 2 weeks of taking Semprex-D
- Urinary alkalinizers (eg, sodium bicarbonate) because they may increase the actions and side effects of Semprex-D
- Certain blood pressure medicines (eg, guanethidine) because their effectiveness may be decreased by Semprex-D
- Bromocriptine because side effects may be increased by Semprex-D
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Semprex-D may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Semprex-D :
Use Semprex-D as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Semprex-D may be taken with or without food.
- Swallow Semprex-D whole. Do not break, crush, or chew before swallowing.
- If you miss a dose of Semprex-D , take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Semprex-D .
Important safety information:
- Semprex-D may cause dizziness or drowsiness. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to Semprex-D . Using Semprex-D alone, with certain other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or to perform other potentially dangerous tasks.
- Avoid drinking alcohol or taking other medications that cause drowsiness (eg, sedatives, tranquilizers) while taking Semprex-D . Semprex-D will add to the effects of alcohol and other depressants. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines are depressants.
- If you are having trouble sleeping, ask your pharmacist or doctor about the best time of day to take Semprex-D .
- Semprex-D contains an antihistamine and decongestant. Before you begin taking any new prescription or over-the-counter medicine, read the ingredients to see if it also contains an antihistamine, decongestant, or stimulant such as products used for dieting (appetite suppressants) or cold symptoms (eg, phenylephrine). If it does or if you are uncertain, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
- Diabetes patients - Semprex-D may affect your blood sugar. Check blood sugar levels closely and ask your doctor before adjusting the dose of your diabetes medicine.
- Use Semprex-D with caution in the ELDERLY because they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially if you already have trouble sleeping.
- Semprex-D is not recommended for use in CHILDREN younger than 12 years of age. Safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Semprex-D during pregnancy. Semprex-D is excreted in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Semprex-D .
Possible side effects of Semprex-D :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth; headache; nervousness; sleeplessness; sore throat.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); fast heartbeat; pounding in the chest.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center ( http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include fast or irregular heartbeat; fever; hallucinations; nausea; seizures; sweating; tremors; trouble breathing; unusual drowsiness or dizziness; vomiting.Proper storage of Semprex-D :
Store Semprex-D at room temperature, between 59 and 77 degrees F (15 and 25 degrees C), in a dry place. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Semprex-D out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Semprex-D , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Semprex-D is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Semprex-D . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Semprex-D Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Semprex-D Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Semprex-D Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)