Selzentry Generic Name: Maraviroc
Liver problems have been reported in some patients taking Selzentry . An allergic reaction may occur before liver problems develop. Contact your doctor right away if you develop a rash; hives; itching; trouble breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue; yellowing of the eyes or skin; dark urine; pale stools; loss of appetite; or severe stomach pain.
Selzentry is used for:
Treating patients with a certain type of HIV infection (CCR5-tropic HIV-1 detectable). It is used along with other HIV medicines.
Selzentry is a CCR5 coreceptor antagonist. It works by blocking the virus from entering cells.
Do NOT use Selzentry if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Selzentry
- you are taking St. John's wort
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Selzentry :
Some medical conditions may interact with Selzentry . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances, including mouse or murine proteins
- if you have a history of liver problems, hepatitis B or C, or heart or kidney problems, or if you are at risk for heart problems
- if you have a history of low blood pressure or dizziness when you stand up
- if you are taking medicine to lower your blood pressure
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Selzentry . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Azole antifungals (eg, ketoconazole), clarithromycin, nefazodone, or telithromycin because they may increase the risk of Selzentry 's side effects
- Carbamazepine, phenobarbital, phenytoin, rifampin, or St. John's wort because they may decrease Selzentry 's effectiveness
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Selzentry may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Selzentry :
Use Selzentry as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Selzentry comes with an extra patient information sheet called a Medication Guide. Read it carefully. Read it again each time you get Selzentry refilled.
- Take Selzentry by mouth with or without food.
- Swallow Selzentry whole. Do not break, crush, or chew before swallowing.
- Taking Selzentry at the same time each day will help you remember to take it.
- Continue to take Selzentry even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of Selzentry , take it as soon as possible. If your next dose is less than 6 hours away, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Selzentry .
Important safety information:
- Selzentry may cause dizziness. This effect may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Selzentry with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use more often than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- Certain other medicines for HIV (eg, HIV protease inhibitors, delavirdine, efavirenz) may increase the side effects of Selzentry or decrease its effectiveness. Talk with your doctor about all of your HIV medicines. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any HIV medicine unless your doctor tells you to.
- Selzentry may improve immune system function. This may reveal hidden infections in some patients. Tell your doctor right away if you notice symptoms of infection (eg, fever, sore throat, weakness, cough, shortness of breath) after you start Selzentry .
- Selzentry may increase the risk of developing an infection. Avoid contact with people who have colds or infections. Tell your doctor if you notice signs of infection like fever, sore throat, rash, or chills. Discuss any questions or concerns with your doctor.
- Selzentry is not a cure for HIV infection. Patients may still get illnesses and infections associated with HIV. Remain under the care of your doctor.
- When your medicine supply is low, get more from your doctor or pharmacist as soon as you can. Do not stop taking Selzentry , even for a short period of time. If you do, the virus may grow resistant to the medicine and become harder to treat.
- Selzentry does not stop the spread of HIV to others through blood or sexual contact. Use barrier methods of birth control (eg, condoms) if you have HIV infection. Do not share needles, injection supplies, or items like toothbrushes or razors.
- Lab tests, including liver function, may be performed while you use Selzentry . These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Selzentry should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 16 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Selzentry while you are pregnant. It is not known if Selzentry is found in breast milk. Mothers infected with HIV should not breast-feed. There is a risk of passing the HIV infection or Selzentry to the baby.
Possible side effects of Selzentry :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Constipation; cough; diarrhea; dizziness; muscle or joint pain; runny nose; sinus inflammation; stomach pain; trouble sleeping.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); bloody diarrhea; chest pain; confusion; depression; fainting; fever, chills, or sore throat; flu-like symptoms; numbness or tingling of an arm or leg; one-sided weakness; seizures; severe muscle pain; severe or persistent stomach pain; shortness of breath; slurred speech; sores or white patches in the mouth; sudden, severe headache, vomiting, or dizziness; symptoms of liver problems (eg, yellowing of the eyes or skin, dark urine, pale stools, loss of appetite, nausea, unusual tiredness, vomiting); unusual lumps, skin growths, or skin changes; vision changes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include fainting; severe or persistent dizziness.Proper storage of Selzentry :
Store Selzentry at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Selzentry out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Selzentry , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Selzentry is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Selzentry . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Selzentry Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Selzentry Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Selzentry Consumer Overview
- Maraviroc Professional Patient Advice (Wolters Kluwer)