Selsun Blue LotionGeneric Name: Selenium
Examples include Dandrex and Selsun Blue
Selsun Blue Lotion is used for:
Treating dandruff and other conditions of the scalp and skin.
Selsun Blue Lotion is a cytostatic agent. It works by reducing skin cell growth and inhibiting growth of organisms associated with chronic flaking and itching.
Do NOT use Selsun Blue Lotion if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Selsun Blue Lotion
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Selsun Blue Lotion:
Some medical conditions may interact with Selsun Blue Lotion. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Selsun Blue Lotion. Because little, if any, of Selsun Blue Lotion is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if Selsun Blue Lotion may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Selsun Blue Lotion:
Use Selsun Blue Lotion as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Shake well before each use.
- Remove jewelry before using Selsun Blue Lotion.
- Do not use on broken or inflamed skin or scalp.
- To use Selsun Blue Lotion on the scalp - Massage 1 or 2 teaspoonfuls of the medicine on the wet scalp. Leave on the scalp for 2 to 3 minutes. Rinse scalp thoroughly. Wash hands well after treatment. If you are using Selsun Blue Lotion before or after bleaching, tinting, or permanent waving of hair, rinse hair for at least 5 minutes in cool running water.
- To use Selsun Blue Lotion on the skin - Apply a sufficient amount to cover affected areas of the body. Lather well with a small amount of water. Leave the medicine on the skin for 10 minutes. Rinse thoroughly in the shower. Wash hands well after treatment.
- If you miss a dose of Selsun Blue Lotion, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Selsun Blue Lotion.
Important safety information:
- If your symptoms do not get better within 1 to 2 weeks or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Do NOT use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- Do not get Selsun Blue Lotion in your eyes, or on the inside of your nose or mouth.
- Do not use Selsun Blue Lotion on broken or blistered skin.
- Do not apply Selsun Blue Lotion to the genital area. If you get Selsun Blue Lotion on your genitals, rinse thoroughly with water.
- Selsun Blue Lotion may damage jewelry. Remove jewelry before using Selsun Blue Lotion.
- Selsun Blue Lotion should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 2 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Selsun Blue Lotion while you are pregnant. It is not known if Selsun Blue Lotion is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Selsun Blue Lotion.
Possible side effects of Selsun Blue Lotion:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Hair discoloration (minimized by thorough rinsing); increase in mild hair loss or thinning; oiliness or dryness of hair and scalp.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Selsun Blue Lotion may be harmful if swallowed.Proper storage of Selsun Blue Lotion:
Store Selsun Blue Lotion below 86 degrees F (30 degrees C) in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat and light. Keep Selsun Blue Lotion out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Selsun Blue Lotion, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Selsun Blue Lotion is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Selsun Blue Lotion. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Selsun Blue Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Dandrex Topical Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information