Selonos Generic Name: Selenium/Urea/Zinc Pyrithione
(se-LEE-nee-um/ue-REE-a/zink PIR-i-THYE-one)Brand Name:
Examples include Selonos and Selseb
Selonos is used for:
Treating dandruff, seborrhea, or tinea versicolor (a fungal infection). It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Selonos is an antiseborrheic, antifungal medicine. It decreases skin cell growth associated with flaking and itching. It also kills sensitive fungi.
Do NOT use Selonos if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Selonos
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Selonos :
Some medical conditions may interact with Selonos . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have broken, irritated, inflamed, or oozing skin at the application site
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Selonos . Because little, if any, of Selonos is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if Selonos may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Selonos :
Use Selonos as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- To treat dandruff or seborrhea, massage Selonos into the wet scalp as directed by your doctor. Rinse scalp and hair well after treatment.
- To treat tinea versicolor, apply a sufficient amount to cover affected areas. Lather well with a small amount of water. Leave the medicine on the skin for 10 minutes, then rinse well.
- Wash your hands right away after using Selonos , unless your hands are part of the treated area.
- Continue to use Selonos as directed by your doctor even if your condition begins to improve. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of Selonos , use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Selonos .
Important safety information:
- Selonos is for external use only. Do not get Selonos in your eyes, nose, mouth, or in the genital area. If you get it in any of these areas, rinse right away with cool water.
- Do not apply Selonos in skin folds; irritation may occur.
- Do not use Selonos on broken, blistered, or inflamed skin.
- Do not use more often or for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor. If you use topical products too often, some conditions may become worse.
- Do not use Selonos for another skin condition at a later time.
- Selonos may discolor the hair. This effect can be decreased or avoided by rinsing your hair well after you use Selonos .
- Selonos may cause your scalp to become dry or oily. If these side effects occur and become bothersome, contact your doctor.
- Selonos may cause harm if it is swallowed. If you may have taken it by mouth, contact your poison control center or emergency room right away.
- Selonos should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is not known if Selonos can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Selonos while you are pregnant. It is not known if Selonos is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Selonos , check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Selonos :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
No COMMON side effects have been reported with Selonos .Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); severe skin irritation.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Selonos may be harmful if swallowed.Proper storage of Selonos :
Store Selonos at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Do not freeze. Store away from heat and light. Keep Selonos out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Selonos , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Selonos is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Selonos . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.