Scot-Tussin DM LiquidGeneric Name: Chlorpheniramine/Dextromethorphan
Examples include Scot-Tussin DM and Tricodene SF
Scot-Tussin DM Liquid is used for:
Relieving cough and other symptoms, such as runny nose and sneezing, due to colds, upper respiratory infections, or allergies. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Scot-Tussin DM Liquid is an antihistamine and cough suppressant combination. It works by blocking histamine, which reduces allergy symptoms, such as watery eyes and sneezing. The cough suppressant works in the brain to help decrease the cough reflex.
Do NOT use Scot-Tussin DM Liquid if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Scot-Tussin DM Liquid
- you are taking sodium oxybate (GHB) or you have taken furazolidone or a monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitor (eg, phenelzine) within the last 14 days
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Scot-Tussin DM Liquid:
Some medical conditions may interact with Scot-Tussin DM Liquid. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat
- if you have a history of asthma; lung problems (eg, emphysema); adrenal gland problems (eg, tumor); heart problems; high blood pressure; diabetes, heart blood vessel problems; stroke, glaucoma; a blockage of your stomach, intestines, or bladder; ulcers; trouble urinating; an enlarged prostate; seizures; or an overactive thyroid
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Scot-Tussin DM Liquid. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Furazolidone, MAO inhibitors (eg, phenelzine), or sodium oxybate (GHB) because the risk of serious side effects, such as severe low blood pressure, severe drowsiness, breathing problems, fever, severe muscle problems, and possibly death, may be increased by Scot-Tussin DM Liquid
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Scot-Tussin DM Liquid may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Scot-Tussin DM Liquid:
Use Scot-Tussin DM Liquid as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Scot-Tussin DM Liquid may be taken with or without food.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- If you miss a dose of Scot-Tussin DM Liquid, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Scot-Tussin DM Liquid.
Important safety information:
- Scot-Tussin DM Liquid may cause dizziness, drowsiness, or blurred vision. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to Scot-Tussin DM Liquid. Using Scot-Tussin DM Liquid alone, with certain other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or perform other potentially dangerous tasks.
- Do NOT exceed the recommended dose or take Scot-Tussin DM Liquid for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not improve within 5 to 7 days or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Scot-Tussin DM Liquid may cause increased sensitivity to the sun. Avoid exposure to the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to Scot-Tussin DM Liquid. Use a sunscreen or protective clothing if you must be outside for a prolonged period.
- If you are scheduled for allergy skin testing, do not take Scot-Tussin DM Liquid for several days before the test because it may decrease your response to the skin tests.
- Before you have any medical or dental treatments, emergency care, or surgery, tell the doctor or dentist that you are using Scot-Tussin DM Liquid.
- Use Scot-Tussin DM Liquid with caution in the ELDERLY because they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Caution is advised when using Scot-Tussin DM Liquid in CHILDREN because they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking Scot-Tussin DM Liquid, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Scot-Tussin DM Liquid during pregnancy. It is unknown if Scot-Tussin DM Liquid is excreted in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Scot-Tussin DM Liquid.
Possible side effects of Scot-Tussin DM Liquid:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; excitability; headache; loss of appetite; nausea; nervousness or anxiety; trouble sleeping; upset stomach; vomiting; weakness.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); difficulty urinating or inability to urinate; fast or irregular heartbeat; hallucinations; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; tremor; trouble sleeping; vision changes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include blurred vision; confusion; hallucinations; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; severe drowsiness; unusually fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; vomiting.Proper storage of Scot-Tussin DM Liquid:
Store Scot-Tussin DM Liquid at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Scot-Tussin DM Liquid out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Scot-Tussin DM Liquid, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Scot-Tussin DM Liquid is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Scot-Tussin DM Liquid. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Scot-Tussin DM Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Mucinex DM Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Mucinex DM Maximum Strength Prescribing Information (FDA)