Sandostatin LAR Depot KitGeneric Name: Octreotide
Sandostatin LAR Depot
Sandostatin LAR Depot Kit is used for:
Treatment of severe diarrhea caused by certain types of cancer. It is also used to treat acromegaly in certain patients. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Sandostatin LAR Depot Kit is a somatostatic agent. It works by reducing blood levels of a variety of hormones (eg, growth hormone) and chemical messengers (eg, gastrin, vasoactive intestinal peptide), which may cause disease symptoms.
Do NOT use Sandostatin LAR Depot Kit if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Sandostatin LAR Depot Kit
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Sandostatin LAR Depot Kit:
Some medical conditions may interact with Sandostatin LAR Depot Kit. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of gallstones or gallbladder problems, kidney disease, diabetes, thyroid problems, heart problems (eg, slow or irregular heartbeat), pancreas problems, or poor health or nutrition
- if you are on dialysis
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Sandostatin LAR Depot Kit. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Beta-blockers (eg, propranolol), bromocriptine, calcium channel blockers (eg, verapamil), quinidine, or terfenadine because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Sandostatin LAR Depot Kit
- Cyclosporine, insulin, or oral hypoglycemic medicines (eg, glyburide) because their effectiveness may be decreased by Sandostatin LAR Depot Kit.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Sandostatin LAR Depot Kit may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Sandostatin LAR Depot Kit:
Use Sandostatin LAR Depot Kit as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Sandostatin LAR Depot Kit is usually given as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic. If you will be using Sandostatin LAR Depot Kit at home, a health care provider will teach you how to use it. Be sure you understand how to use Sandostatin LAR Depot Kit. Follow the procedures you are taught when you use a dose. Contact your health care provider if you have any questions.
- Do not use Sandostatin LAR Depot Kit if it contains particles, is cloudy or discolored, or if the vial is cracked or damaged.
- Allow Sandostatin LAR Depot Kit to remain at room temperature for 30 to 60 minutes before preparing it for use. Do not warm or thaw Sandostatin LAR Depot Kit with hot water or by placing in the microwave.
- Alternate injection sites with each dose to reduce the risk of irritation.
- Keep this product, as well as syringes and needles, out of the reach of children and pets. Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials. Ask your health care provider how to dispose of these materials after use. Follow all local rules for disposal.
- If you miss a dose of Sandostatin LAR Depot Kit, contact your doctor right away.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Sandostatin LAR Depot Kit.
Important safety information:
- Sandostatin LAR Depot Kit may cause dizziness, drowsiness, or vision changes. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Sandostatin LAR Depot Kit with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Diabetes patients - Sandostatin LAR Depot Kit may affect your blood sugar. Check blood sugar levels closely. Ask your doctor before you change the dose of your diabetes medicine.
- Sandostatin LAR Depot Kit may raise your blood sugar. High blood sugar may make you feel confused, drowsy, or thirsty. It can also make you flush, breathe faster, or have a fruit-like breath odor. If these symptoms occur, tell your doctor right away.
- Sandostatin LAR Depot Kit may also sometimes lower blood sugar in some patients. Low blood sugar may make you anxious, sweaty, weak, dizzy, drowsy, or faint. It may also make your heart beat faster; make your vision change; give you a headache, chills, or tremors; or make you more hungry. It is a good idea to carry a reliable source of glucose (eg, tablets or gel) to treat low blood sugar. If this is not available, you should eat or drink a quick source of sugar like table sugar, honey, candy, orange juice, or non-diet soda. This will raise your blood sugar level quickly. Tell your doctor right away if this happens. To prevent low blood sugar, eat meals at the same time each day and do not skip meals.
- Lab tests, including blood sugar levels, growth hormone levels, and thyroid function tests, may be performed while you use Sandostatin LAR Depot Kit. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Sandostatin LAR Depot Kit with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Caution is advised when using Sandostatin LAR Depot Kit in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially gallbladder problems.
- Sandostatin LAR Depot Kit may restore fertility in some women with acromegaly who were unable to become pregnant. If you wish to avoid pregnancy, you should use effective birth control while you use Sandostatin LAR Depot Kit.
- PREGNANCY AND BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Sandostatin LAR Depot Kit while you are pregnant. It is not known if Sandostatin LAR Depot Kit is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Sandostatin LAR Depot Kit, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Sandostatin LAR Depot Kit:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; gas; headache; mild to moderate pain at the injection site; nausea; stomach pain or discomfort; vomiting.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); severe or persistent stomach pain or tenderness; severe or persistent vomiting or diarrhea; slow or irregular heartbeat; stomach bloating or swelling; swollen or enlarged glands; trouble swallowing; yellowing of the eyes or skin.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include chest pain; diarrhea; dizziness; flushing; irregular heartbeat; severe stomach pain or tenderness; trouble breathing; unusual tiredness or weakness; weight loss; yellowing of the skin or eyes.Proper storage of Sandostatin LAR Depot Kit:
Store Sandostatin LAR Depot Kit in the refrigerator, between 36 and 46 degrees F (2 and 8 degrees C). Do not freeze. Store in original packaging until just before use. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Sandostatin LAR Depot Kit, as well as syringes and needles, out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Sandostatin LAR Depot Kit, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Sandostatin LAR Depot Kit is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Sandostatin LAR Depot Kit. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Sandostatin LAR Depot Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Octreotide Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Sandostatin Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Sandostatin Consumer Overview