Razadyne SolutionGeneric Name: Galantamine
Razadyne Solution is used for:
Treating mild to moderate dementia (eg, impairment of memory or judgement, abstract thinking, changes in personality) in patients with Alzheimer disease.
Razadyne Solution is a cholinesterase inhibitor. It works by increasing the amount of a certain substance (acetylcholine) in the brain, which may help reduce symptoms of dementia in patients with Alzheimer disease.
Do NOT use Razadyne Solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Razadyne Solution
- you have severely decreased liver or kidney function
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Razadyne Solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Razadyne Solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of liver or kidney problems, certain heart problems (eg, slow or irregular heartbeat, sick sinus syndrome), stomach or bowel problems (eg, ulcer, blockage), lung or breathing problems (eg, asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease [COPD]), or urinary blockage
- if you have brain lesions or tumors, increased pressure in the brain, recent head injury, or a history of seizures (eg, epilepsy)
- if you have dementia or other decreased mental ability that is not caused by Alzheimer disease
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Razadyne Solution. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) (eg, ibuprofen) because the risk of stomach or bowel bleeding may be increased
- Cholinergic agents (eg, bethanechol), cholinesterase inhibitors (eg, donepezil), ketoconazole, or serotonin specific reuptake inhibitors (eg, paroxetine) because they may increase the risk of Razadyne Solution's side effects
- Anticholinergics (eg, scopolamine) because their effectiveness may be decreased by Razadyne Solution
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Razadyne Solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Razadyne Solution:
Use Razadyne Solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with Razadyne Solution. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Take Razadyne Solution by mouth with morning and evening meals, unless otherwise directed by your doctor.
- Use the measuring device that comes with Razadyne Solution to measure your dose. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- After you have measured the dose, empty all of the medicine into 3 to 4 oz (100 mL) of any non-alcoholic drink. Stir well, the drink the mixture right away.
- After use, rinse the measuring device. This is done by inserting it into a glass of water, pulling the plunger out, and then pushing the plunger back in to remove the water.
- Drinking extra fluids while you are taking Razadyne Solution is recommended. Check with your doctor for instructions.
- Take Razadyne Solution on a regular schedule to get the most benefit from it.
- Taking Razadyne Solution at the same time each day will help you remember to take it.
- Continue to take Razadyne Solution even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of Razadyne Solution, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once. Contact your doctor if you miss several doses of Razadyne Solution. Your doctor may need to restart your medicine at a lower dose to avoid side effects.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Razadyne Solution.
Important safety information:
- Razadyne Solution may cause dizziness, drowsiness, or fainting. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Razadyne Solution with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not take more than the recommended dose without checking with your doctor.
- When you begin taking Razadyne Solution, your doctor will increase your dose slowly over several months. This may help to decrease the risk of certain side effects (eg, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea). Carefully follow the dosing schedule prescribed by your doctor.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Razadyne Solution before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Razadyne Solution should not be used in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Razadyne Solution while you are pregnant. It is not known if Razadyne Solution is found in breast milk. Razadyne Solution is not indicated for use in women who may be breast-feeding.
Possible side effects of Razadyne Solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Diarrhea; dizziness; headache; loss of appetite; nausea; stomach upset; tiredness; vomiting; weight loss.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); bloody, black, or tarry stools; chest pain; decreased urination; depression; fainting; fever; seizures; severe or persistent tiredness or weakness; slow or irregular heartbeat; tremor.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch .
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include fainting; increased sweating or saliva production; loss of bowel control; loss of consciousness; muscle weakness; seizures; severe dizziness; severe nausea or vomiting; slow heartbeat; slow or shallow breathing; stomach cramping.Proper storage of Razadyne Solution:
Store Razadyne Solution at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Do NOT freeze. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Razadyne Solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Razadyne Solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Razadyne Solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Razadyne Solution. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Razadyne Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Razadyne Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Razadyne Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Razadyne Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Galantamine Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Galantamine Prescribing Information (FDA)