OcuClear DropsGeneric Name: Oxymetazoline
Examples include OcuClear and Visine LR
OcuClear Drops are used for:
Relieving redness in the eye caused by minor irritation.
OcuClear Drops are a decongestant used in the eye. It works by narrowing the blood vessels in the eye, which helps you by relieving irritation.
Do NOT use OcuClear Drops if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in OcuClear Drops
- you are also taking furazolidone or a monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitor (eg, phenelzine)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using OcuClear Drops:
Some medical conditions may interact with OcuClear Drops. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have glaucoma, high blood pressure, diabetes, or heart or thyroid problems, or are taking medicine for high blood pressure
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with OcuClear Drops. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because the effectiveness of OcuClear Drops may be decreased
- Cocaine, furazolidone, MAO inhibitors (eg, phenelzine), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because side effects, such as headache, fever, and high blood pressure, may be increased
- Bromocriptine or cocaine because the actions and side effects of these medicines may be increased
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if OcuClear Drops may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use OcuClear Drops:
Use OcuClear Drops as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- If you wear contact lenses, remove them before using OcuClear Drops.
- To use OcuClear Drops, wash your hands. Tilt your head back. Using your index finger, pull the lower eyelid away from the eye to form a pouch. Drop the medicine into the pouch and gently close your eyes. Immediately use your finger to apply pressure to the inside corner of the eye and continue to apply pressure for 1 to 2 minutes after using the medicine. Do not blink. Remove excess medicine around your eye with a clean tissue, being careful not to touch your eye. Wash your hands to remove any medicine that may be on them. To prevent germs from entering your medicine, do not touch the applicator tip to any surface, including your eye. Keep the container tightly closed.
- If you miss a dose of OcuClear Drops and are using it regularly, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use OcuClear Drops.
Important safety information:
- Do not exceed the recommended dose or use OcuClear Drops for longer than 3 days without checking with your doctor. If your symptoms do not improve within 3 days or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- OcuClear Drops are not recommended for use in CHILDREN younger than 6 years of age. Safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY AND BREAST-FEEDING: If you plan on becoming pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using OcuClear Drops during pregnancy. It is unknown if OcuClear Drops are excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using OcuClear Drops, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of OcuClear Drops:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Short period of stinging when the medicine is dropped into the eye.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); changes in vision; eye pain.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. OcuClear Drops may be harmful if swallowed.Proper storage of OcuClear Drops:
Store OcuClear Drops at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C) in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat and light. Keep OcuClear Drops out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about OcuClear Drops, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- OcuClear Drops are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about OcuClear Drops. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Ocuclear Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Ocuclear Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information