Maxi-Tuss HCG LiquidGeneric Name: Guaifenesin/Hydrocodone
Examples include CodiCLEAR DH and Maxi-Tuss HCG
Maxi-Tuss HCG Liquid is used for:
Relieving cough and throat and airway irritation due to colds, flu, or hay fever. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Maxi-Tuss HCG Liquid is a cough suppressant and expectorant combination. It works by loosening mucus and lung secretions in the chest, and making coughs more productive. The cough suppressant works in the brain to help decrease the cough reflex to reduce a dry cough.
Do NOT use Maxi-Tuss HCG Liquid if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Maxi-Tuss HCG Liquid or any other codeine or morphine-related medicine (eg, oxycodone)
- you are taking sodium oxybate (GHB)
- you have increased pressure in the brain, trouble breathing, or diarrhea due to antibiotic use
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Maxi-Tuss HCG Liquid:
Some medical conditions may interact with Maxi-Tuss HCG Liquid. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of glaucoma, an enlarged prostate gland or other prostate problems, heart problems, diabetes, high blood pressure, blood vessel problems, stroke, adrenal gland problems, or an underactive thyroid
- if you have a history of stomach problems, bowel problems (eg, chronic inflammation or ulceration of the bowel), or gallbladder problems (eg, gallstones), or if you have had recent abdominal surgery
- if you have breathing or lung problems (eg, asthma, chronic bronchitis, emphysema), or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), or if cough occurs with large amounts of mucus
- if you have recently had any head injury, brain injury or tumor, infection of the brain or nervous system, epilepsy, or seizures
- if you have a history of alcohol abuse, drug abuse, or suicidal thoughts or behavior
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Maxi-Tuss HCG Liquid. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Cimetidine because it may increase the risk of Maxi-Tuss HCG Liquid's side effects
- Barbiturates (eg, phenobarbital) or sodium oxybate (GHB) because the risk of severe drowsiness or breathing problems may be increased
- Naltrexone because it may decrease Maxi-Tuss HCG Liquid's effectiveness
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Maxi-Tuss HCG Liquid may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Maxi-Tuss HCG Liquid:
Use Maxi-Tuss HCG Liquid as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Maxi-Tuss HCG Liquid by mouth with or without food.
- Drink plenty of water while taking Maxi-Tuss HCG Liquid.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- If you miss a dose of Maxi-Tuss HCG Liquid, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Maxi-Tuss HCG Liquid.
Important safety information:
- Maxi-Tuss HCG Liquid may cause dizziness or drowsiness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Maxi-Tuss HCG Liquid with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 5 to 7 days or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Maxi-Tuss HCG Liquid may interfere with certain lab test results. Be sure your doctor and lab personnel know you are taking Maxi-Tuss HCG Liquid.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Maxi-Tuss HCG Liquid before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Use Maxi-Tuss HCG Liquid with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Maxi-Tuss HCG Liquid should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 6 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Maxi-Tuss HCG Liquid while you are pregnant. It is not known if Maxi-Tuss HCG Liquid is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Maxi-Tuss HCG Liquid.
Possible side effects of Maxi-Tuss HCG Liquid:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Constipation; dizziness; drowsiness; excitability; headache; nausea; nervousness or anxiety; trouble sleeping; weakness.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); anxiety; change in amount of urine; difficulty urinating; hearing change or loss; mental or mood changes; severe drowsiness.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include blurred vision; confusion; hallucinations; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; severe drowsiness; unusually fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; vomiting.Proper storage of Maxi-Tuss HCG Liquid:
Store Maxi-Tuss HCG Liquid at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Maxi-Tuss HCG Liquid out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Maxi-Tuss HCG Liquid, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Maxi-Tuss HCG Liquid is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Maxi-Tuss HCG Liquid. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.