Mavik Generic Name: Trandolapril
Mavik may cause injury or death to the fetus if taken after the third month of pregnancy. If you think you may be pregnant, contact your doctor right away.
Mavik is used for:
Treating high blood pressure alone or with other medicine. It is used along with other medicines to manage heart failure or improve survival after a heart attack. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Mavik is an angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor. It works by helping to relax blood vessels. This helps to lower blood pressure.
Do NOT use Mavik if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Mavik or to another ACE inhibitor (eg, lisinopril)
- you have a history of angioedema (swelling of the hands, face, lips, eyes, throat, or tongue; difficulty swallowing or breathing; unusual hoarseness), including angioedema caused by treatment with an ACE inhibitor
- you are in your second or third trimester of pregnancy
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Mavik :
Some medical conditions may interact with Mavik . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines or other substances
- if you are able to become pregnant
- if you have a history of heart problems (eg, heart failure, aortic stenosis), blood vessel problems, blood flow problems, bone marrow problems, kidney or liver problems, or diabetes
- if you have a history of stroke, recent heart attack, or kidney transplant
- if you have an autoimmune disease (eg, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, scleroderma)
- if you are dehydrated or have low blood volume
- if you have high potassium levels or low blood sodium levels, or you are on a low-salt (sodium) diet
- if you are receiving treatments to reduce sensitivity to bee or wasp stings
- if you are having dialysis or apheresis, or you are scheduled to have major surgery
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Mavik . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Diuretics (eg, furosemide, hydrochlorothiazide) because the risk of low blood pressure may be increased
- Aldosterone blockers (eg, eplerenone), potassium-sparing diuretics (eg, spironolactone), or potassium supplements because the risk of high blood potassium levels may be increased
- Angiotensin receptor blockers (eg, losartan) or trimethoprim because the risk of kidney problems may be increased
- Insulin, sulfonylureas (eg, glipizide), or other oral diabetes medicines (eg, metformin) because the risk of low blood sugar may be increased
- Certain gold-containing medicines (eg, sodium aurothiomalate) because flushing, low blood pressure, nausea, and vomiting may occur
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) (eg, ibuprofen, indomethacin) because they may decrease Mavik 's effectiveness
- Lithium because the risk of its side effects may be increased by Mavik
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Mavik may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Mavik :
Use Mavik as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Mavik by mouth with or without food.
- Take Mavik on a regular schedule to get the most benefit from it. Taking Mavik at the same time each day will help you remember to take it.
- Continue to take Mavik even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of Mavik , take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Mavik .
Important safety information:
- Mavik may cause dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Mavik with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Mavik may cause dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting; alcohol, hot weather, exercise, or fever may increase these effects. To prevent them, sit up or stand slowly, especially in the morning. Sit or lie down at the first sign of any of these effects.
- Mavik may cause a serious side effect called angioedema. Contact your doctor at once if you develop swelling of the hands, face, lips, eyes, throat, or tongue; difficulty swallowing or breathing; or unusual hoarseness.
- Mavik may not work as well in black patients. They may also be at greater risk of side effects. Contact your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse.
- Dehydration, excessive sweating, vomiting, or diarrhea may increase the risk of low blood pressure. Contact your health care provider at once if any of these occur.
- Check with your doctor before you use a salt substitute or a product that has potassium in it.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Mavik before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Patients who take medicine for high blood pressure often feel tired or run down for a few weeks after starting treatment. Be sure to take your medicine even if you may not feel "normal." Tell your doctor if you develop any new symptoms.
- If you have high blood pressure, do not use nonprescription products that contain stimulants. These products may include diet pills or cold medicines. Contact your doctor if you have any questions or concerns.
- Diabetes patients - Mavik may affect your blood sugar. Check your blood sugar levels closely. Ask your doctor before you change the dose of your diabetes medicine.
- Lab tests, including blood pressure, blood electrolyte levels, heart function, or kidney or liver function, may be performed while you use Mavik . These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Mavik should not be used in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Mavik may cause birth defects or fetal death if you take it while you are pregnant. If you think you may be pregnant, contact your doctor right away. Mavik is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Mavik .
Possible side effects of Mavik :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Cough; diarrhea; dizziness; stomach upset.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue; unusual hoarseness); chest pain; dark urine; decreased urination; difficulty swallowing; fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; muscle pain or cramping; numbness of an arm or a leg; one-sided weakness; shortness of breath; slurred speech; stomach pain (with or without nausea or vomiting); symptoms of infection (eg, fever, chills, persistent sore throat); symptoms of low blood pressure (eg, fainting, severe dizziness, lightheadedness); yellowing of the skin or eyes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include fainting; severe dizziness or lightheadedness; weakness.Proper storage of Mavik :
Store Mavik at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Mavik out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Mavik , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Mavik is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Mavik . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Mavik Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Mavik Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Mavik Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Mavik Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Trandolapril Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Trandolapril Professional Patient Advice (Wolters Kluwer)