Marcaine Spinal SolutionGeneric Name: Bupivacaine in Dextrose
Examples include Marcaine Spinal and Sensorcaine-MPF Spinal
Marcaine Spinal Solution is used for:
Inducing spinal anesthesia for certain medical or surgical procedures.
Marcaine Spinal Solution is an anesthetic. It works by blocking the generation and conduction of nerve impulses.
Do NOT use Marcaine Spinal Solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Marcaine Spinal Solution or other similar medicines (eg, amide-type anesthetics)
- you have severe bleeding, severely low blood pressure or shock, irregular heartbeat, an infection in your bloodstream (eg, septicemia), or an infection at the injection site
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Marcaine Spinal Solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Marcaine Spinal Solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances, especially sulfites
- if you have heart disease, liver or kidney problems, nervous system problems, pernicious anemia, polio, syphilis, unusual growths (tumors) in the brain or spine, blood or bleeding problems, blood pressure problems, persistent backache, spine problems (eg, arthritis, deformity), a mental illness (eg, psychosis), or a headache right before the procedure
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Marcaine Spinal Solution. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin, heparin), beta-blockers (eg, atenolol), or digoxin because the risk of side effects, such as abnormal heartbeat or bleeding, may be increased
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Marcaine Spinal Solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Marcaine Spinal Solution:
Use Marcaine Spinal Solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Marcaine Spinal Solution will only be administered as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic.
- If you miss a dose of Marcaine Spinal Solution, contact your doctor immediately.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Marcaine Spinal Solution.
Important safety information:
- Marcaine Spinal Solution may cause drowsiness, dizziness, or blurred vision. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to Marcaine Spinal Solution. Using Marcaine Spinal Solution alone, with certain other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or perform other potentially dangerous tasks.
- If you are going home before the numbness wears off, protect the treated area from injury until you regain feeling. If you received Marcaine Spinal Solution for a dental procedure, do not chew gum or eat until the feeling comes back. Also be careful not to bite your tongue or the inside of your mouth.
- Some of these products contain sulfites, which can cause allergic reactions in certain individuals (eg, asthma patients). If you have previously had allergic reactions to sulfites, contact your pharmacist to determine if the product you are taking contains sulfites.
- Use Marcaine Spinal Solution with caution in the ELDERLY because they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially low blood pressure.
- Marcaine Spinal Solution is not recommended for use in CHILDREN younger than 18 years of age. Safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Marcaine Spinal Solution during pregnancy. Marcaine Spinal Solution is excreted in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Marcaine Spinal Solution.
Possible side effects of Marcaine Spinal Solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Mild dizziness or drowsiness; nausea; vomiting.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); blurred vision; changes in hearing; chest pain; excitement; headache; inability to control bowels and urine; irregular heartbeat; numbness that lasts for more than a few hours; paralysis; restlessness; ringing in the ears; seizures; severe dizziness or drowsiness; shivering; tremors; urinary retention.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include seizures; shortness of breath; slow heartbeat.Proper storage of Marcaine Spinal Solution:
Store Marcaine Spinal Solution at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Marcaine Spinal Solution is usually handled and stored by a health care provider. Keep Marcaine Spinal Solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Marcaine Spinal Solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Marcaine Spinal Solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Marcaine Spinal Solution. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Marcaine Spinal Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Bupivacaine Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Sensorcaine Prescribing Information (FDA)