Magaldrate/Simethicone SuspensionGeneric Name:
Magaldrate/Simethicone (MAG-al-drate/si-METH-i-kone)Brand Name:
Examples include Riopan Plus and Ron Acid Plus
Magaldrate/Simethicone Suspension is used for:
Treating acid indigestion, heartburn, gas, and sour stomach. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Magaldrate/Simethicone Suspension is an antacid and antiflatulent combination. The antacid works by neutralizing stomach acid and increasing the pH of the stomach. The antiflatulent works by breaking up gas bubbles, which makes gas easier to eliminate.
Do NOT use Magaldrate/Simethicone Suspension if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Magaldrate/Simethicone Suspension
- you have a history of kidney problems
- you are taking citrate salts (found in some calcium supplements, antacids, and laxatives)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Magaldrate/Simethicone Suspension:
Some medical conditions may interact with Magaldrate/Simethicone Suspension. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have appendicitis, stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, blockage of the bowel, rectal bleeding of unknown cause, kidney problems, or you have had bowel surgery
- if you are on a low-magnesium diet
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Magaldrate/Simethicone Suspension. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin), citrate salts (found in some calcium supplements, antacids, and laxatives), or quinidine because their actions and side effects may be increased by Magaldrate/Simethicone Suspension
- Bisphosphonates (eg, alendronic acid), cation exchange resins (eg, sodium polystyrene sulfonate), cephalosporins (eg, cefaclor), imidazoles (eg, fluconazole), mycophenolate, penicillamine, quinolones (eg, ciprofloxacin), tetracyclines (eg, doxycycline), or thyroid hormones because their effectiveness may be decreased by Magaldrate/Simethicone Suspension
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Magaldrate/Simethicone Suspension may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Magaldrate/Simethicone Suspension:
Use Magaldrate/Simethicone Suspension as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Magaldrate/Simethicone Suspension may be taken with or without food.
- Shake well before using.
- If you miss a dose of Magaldrate/Simethicone Suspension and you are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If several hours have passed or if it is nearing time for the next dose, do not double the dose to catch up, unless advised by your health care provider. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Magaldrate/Simethicone Suspension.
Important safety information:
- Do not exceed the recommended dose or use the maximum dose for more than 2 weeks without checking with your doctor.
- Magaldrate/Simethicone Suspension contains aluminum and magnesium. Before you begin taking any new prescription or over-the-counter medicine, read the ingredients to see if it also contains aluminum or magnesium. If it does or if you are uncertain, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
- Different brands of Magaldrate/Simethicone Suspension may have different dosing instructions for CHILDREN on the package labeling. Follow the dosing instructions provided on the package labeling or by your doctor. If you are unsure of the dose to give a child, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is unknown if Magaldrate/Simethicone Suspension can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant while taking Magaldrate/Simethicone Suspension, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Magaldrate/Simethicone Suspension during pregnancy. Magaldrate/Simethicone Suspension is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Magaldrate/Simethicone Suspension, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Magaldrate/Simethicone Suspension:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Constipation; diarrhea; intestinal pain.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); black, tarry stools; loss of appetite; muscle weakness; nausea; slow reflexes; vomiting; vomit that looks like coffee grounds.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Magaldrate/Simethicone Suspension:
Store Magaldrate/Simethicone Suspension at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Do not freeze. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Magaldrate/Simethicone Suspension out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Magaldrate/Simethicone Suspension, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Magaldrate/Simethicone Suspension is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Magaldrate/Simethicone Suspension. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.