Kristalose CrystalsGeneric Name: Lactulose
Kristalose Crystals are used for:
Treating constipation. It also may be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Kristalose Crystals are a colonic acidifier. It works by drawing water into the colon, which increases pressure in the colon to then stimulate bowel movements.
Do NOT use Kristalose Crystals if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Kristalose Crystals
- you have high blood galactose levels or you require a low-galactose diet
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Kristalose Crystals:
Some medical conditions may interact with Kristalose Crystals. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have diabetes, appendix problems, rectal bleeding, or an intestinal blockage
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Kristalose Crystals. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Antacids because they may decrease Kristalose Crystals's effectiveness
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Kristalose Crystals may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Kristalose Crystals:
Use Kristalose Crystals as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Kristalose Crystals may be mixed with food, fruit juice, water, or milk. It also may be taken dry from a spoon and washed down with water, juice, or milk.
- Drink one or more 8-ounce glasses of liquid with each dose.
- If you miss a dose of Kristalose Crystals and you are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If several hours have passed or if it is nearing time for the next dose, do not double the dose to catch up, unless advised by your health care provider. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Kristalose Crystals.
Important safety information:
- Contact your health care provider if diarrhea occurs.
- It may take several days for Kristalose Crystals to work.
- Diabetes patients - Kristalose Crystals may raise your blood sugar. High blood sugar may make you feel confused, drowsy, or thirsty. It can also make you flush, breathe faster, or have a fruit-like breath odor. If these symptoms occur, tell your doctor right away.
- LAB TESTS, including blood electrolyte levels, may be performed while you use Kristalose Crystals. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Kristalose Crystals while you are pregnant. It is not known if Kristalose Crystals are found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Kristalose Crystals, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Kristalose Crystals:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Belching; gas; stomach cramps.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); diarrhea; high blood sugar (excessive thirst or urination, confusion, flushing, rapid breathing, or fruity breath odor).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include diarrhea; stomach cramps.Proper storage of Kristalose Crystals:
Store Kristalose Crystals at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Kristalose Crystals out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Kristalose Crystals, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Kristalose Crystals are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Kristalose Crystals. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Kristalose Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Lactulose Professional Patient Advice (Wolters Kluwer)
- Lactulose Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Lactulose Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Constulose Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Enulose Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Generlac Prescribing Information (FDA)