Ifosfamide and Mesna Generic Name:
Ifosfamide and Mesna (eye-FOSS-fuh-mide and MES-nuh)Brand Name:
Ifex and Mesnex
Ifosfamide and Mesna should only be used under the supervision of a doctor experienced with the use of cancer medicines. Bladder effects (eg, bleeding, inflammation) or central nervous system effects (eg, confusion, coma) may occur with use of Ifosfamide and Mesna . Contact your doctor immediately if you experience any of these symptoms. Ifosfamide and Mesna may also cause bone marrow depression.
Ifosfamide and Mesna is used for:
Treating certain types of cancer in combination with other medicines.
Ifosfamide and Mesna is an antineoplastic and urinary protectant combination. It works by stopping the growth of certain cancers and by lowering the risk of bleeding in your bladder.
Do NOT use Ifosfamide and Mesna if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Ifosfamide and Mesna
- you have severe bone marrow depression
- you are in your first 3 months of pregnancy
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Ifosfamide and Mesna :
Some medical conditions may interact with Ifosfamide and Mesna . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have liver or kidney disease, bone marrow depression, an infection, chickenpox, or shingles
- if you have had radiation therapy
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Ifosfamide and Mesna . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Digoxin because its effectiveness may be decreased by Ifosfamide and Mesna
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Ifosfamide and Mesna may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Ifosfamide and Mesna :
Use Ifosfamide and Mesna as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Ifosfamide and Mesna is usually administered as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic. If you are using Ifosfamide and Mesna at home, carefully follow the injection procedures taught to you by your health care provider.
- If the medicine contains particles or is discolored, or if the vial/container is cracked or damaged in any way, do not use it.
- Drinking extra fluids while you are taking Ifosfamide and Mesna is recommended. Check with your doctor for instructions.
- Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials. Dispose of properly after use. Ask your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist to explain local regulations for selecting an appropriate container and properly disposing of the container when full.
- If you miss a dose of Ifosfamide and Mesna , contact your doctor immediately for dosing instructions.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Ifosfamide and Mesna .
Important safety information:
- Ifosfamide and Mesna may cause drowsiness or dizziness. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to Ifosfamide and Mesna . Using Ifosfamide and Mesna alone, with certain other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or to perform other potentially dangerous tasks.
- Empty your bladder regularly. Your doctor may recommend that you get up at least once during the night to urinate.
- Ifosfamide and Mesna may reduce the number of blood cells that are needed for clotting. To prevent bleeding, avoid situations where bruising or injury may occur.
- Ifosfamide and Mesna may decrease your body's ability to heal itself. To prevent wounds, avoid situations where bruising or injury may occur.
- Ifosfamide and Mesna may lower your body's ability to fight infection. To prevent infection, avoid contact with people who have colds or other infections. Do not touch your eyes or the inside of your nose unless you have thoroughly washed your hands first.
- If nausea, vomiting, or loss of appetite occurs, ask your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist for ways to lessen these effects.
- Check with your doctor before having vaccinations while you are using Ifosfamide and Mesna .
- Ifosfamide and Mesna contains benzyl alcohol, which may cause serious and sometimes fatal reactions in newborns and infants.
- Use Ifosfamide and Mesna with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness have not been confirmed.
- LAB TESTS, including kidney function, complete blood cell count, and urine tests, may be performed to monitor your progress or to check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Ifosfamide and Mesna has been shown to cause harm to the fetus. If you plan on becoming pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Ifosfamide and Mesna during pregnancy. Ifosfamide and Mesna is excreted in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Ifosfamide and Mesna .
Possible side effects of Ifosfamide and Mesna :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Hair loss; loss of appetite; nausea.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); abdominal pain; blood in the urine; confusion; cough; dizziness; fever or chills; hallucinations; irregular or absent menstrual periods; joint pain; mood changes; painful or frequent urination; shortness of breath; sleepiness; sore throat; sores on the mouth or lips; unusual bruising or bleeding; unusual fatigue; vomiting; yellowing of the skin or eyes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Ifosfamide and Mesna :
Powder for injection should be stored at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. After solution has been properly mixed, it may be stored at room temperature for 7 days or refrigerated between 36 and 46 degrees F (2 and 8 degrees C) for up to 21 days. Do not store Ifosfamide and Mesna in the bathroom. Keep Ifosfamide and Mesna , as well as needles and syringes, out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Ifosfamide and Mesna , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Ifosfamide and Mesna is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Ifosfamide and Mesna . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.