Hylenex Generic Name: Hyaluronidase
Hylenex is used for:
Increasing the absorption of other injected medicines or fluids. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Hylenex is a protein enzyme. It works by causing rapid spreading of injected fluid into the body, which increases the absorption of injected fluids.
Do NOT use Hylenex if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Hylenex
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Hylenex :
Some medical conditions may interact with Hylenex . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a skin infection or skin cancer
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Hylenex . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Local anesthetics (eg, lidocaine) because they may increase the risk of Hylenex 's side effects
- Antihistamines (eg, diphenhydramine), certain hormones (eg, corticotropin, estrogens), cortisone, or salicylates (eg, aspirin) because they may decrease Hylenex 's effectiveness
- Benzodiazepines (eg, alprazolam), furosemide, or phenytoin because their effectiveness may be decreased by Hylenex
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Hylenex may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Hylenex :
Use Hylenex as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Hylenex is usually given as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic. If you will be using Hylenex at home, a health care provider will teach you how to use it. Be sure you understand how to use Hylenex . Follow the procedures you are taught when you use a dose. Contact your health care provider if you have any questions.
- Do not use Hylenex if it contains particles, is cloudy or discolored, or if the vial is cracked or damaged.
- Keep this product, as well as syringes and needles, out of the reach of children and pets. Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials. Ask your health care provider how to dispose of these materials after use. Follow all local rules for disposal.
- Hylenex should not be applied directly in the eye, injected into a vein, or injected into skin that is infected, red, swollen, or irritated.
- If you miss a dose of Hylenex , contact your doctor right away.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Hylenex .
Important safety information:
- Hylenex should not be used to enhance absorption of dopamine or alpha agonist medicines (eg, clonidine) or to reduce the swelling of bites or stings.
- Caution is advised when using Hylenex in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is not known if Hylenex can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Hylenex while you are pregnant. It is not known if Hylenex is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Hylenex , check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Hylenex :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Redness or pain at the injection site.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); swelling at the injection site.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include chills; dizziness; fainting; fast heartbeat; hives; nausea; rash; redness; swelling; vomiting.Proper storage of Hylenex :
Hylenex is usually handled and stored by a health care provider. If you are using Hylenex at home, store Hylenex as directed by your pharmacist or health care provider. Keep Hylenex out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Hylenex , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Hylenex is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Hylenex . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Hylenex Consumer Overview
- Hylenex Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Hyaluronidase Professional Patient Advice (Wolters Kluwer)
- Amphadase Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Amphadase Consumer Overview
- Vitrase Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Vitrase Consumer Overview