Hydro-Tussin EXP SyrupGeneric Name: Dihydrocodeine/Guaifenesin/Pseudoephedrine
(dye-hye-droe-KOE-deen/gwye-FEN-e-sin /sue-doe-eh-FED-rin)Brand Name:
Examples include Hydro-Tussin EXP and Pancof EXP
Hydro-Tussin EXP Syrup is used for:
Relieving congestion, cough, and throat and airway irritation due to colds, flu, or hay fever. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Hydro-Tussin EXP Syrup is a decongestant, cough suppressant, and expectorant combination. It works by constricting blood vessels and reducing swelling in the nasal passages, loosening mucus and lung secretions in the chest, and making coughs more productive. The cough suppressant works in the brain to help decrease the cough reflex to reduce a dry cough.
Do NOT use Hydro-Tussin EXP Syrup if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Hydro-Tussin EXP Syrup or any other codeine or morphine related medicine (eg, oxycodone)
- you have severe high blood pressure, a rapid heartbeat, other severe heart problems (eg, heart blood vessel disease), severe bowel problems (eg, paralytic ileus), severe asthma, or you are having an asthma attack
- you are taking sodium oxybate (GHB) or you have taken furazolidone or a monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitor (eg, phenelzine) within the last 14 days
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Hydro-Tussin EXP Syrup:
Some medical conditions may interact with Hydro-Tussin EXP Syrup. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have had a severe allergic reaction (eg, severe rash, hives, difficulty breathing, dizziness) to morphine, codeine, or any other opiate (eg, hydrocodone, dihydrocodeine, oxycodone)
- if you have a history of glaucoma, an enlarged prostate gland or other prostate problems, heart problems, diabetes, high blood pressure, blood vessel problems, stroke, adrenal gland problems (eg, Addison disease), or an overactive thyroid
- if you have a history of stomach problems, bowel problems (eg, chronic inflammation or ulceration of the bowel), gallbladder problems (eg, gallstones), a blockage of your bladder or bowel, kidney or liver problems, or if you have had recent abdominal surgery
- if you have a history of asthma, chronic cough, lung problems (eg, chronic bronchitis, emphysema), or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), or if your cough occurs with large amounts of mucus
- if you have recently had any head injury, brain injury or tumor, increased pressure in the brain, infection of the brain or nervous system, epilepsy, or seizures
- if you have a history of alcohol abuse, drug abuse, or suicidal thoughts or behavior
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Hydro-Tussin EXP Syrup. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Beta-blockers (eg, propranolol), catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) inhibitors (eg, tolcapone), cimetidine, furazolidone, HIV protease inhibitors (eg, ritonavir), indomethacin, MAO inhibitors (eg, phenelzine), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because the risk of side effects from Hydro-Tussin EXP Syrup may be increased
- Digoxin, droxidopa, or sodium oxybate (GHB) because the risk of severe drowsiness, breathing problems, seizures, irregular heartbeat, or heart attack may be increased
- Naltrexone and quinidine because the effectiveness of Hydro-Tussin EXP Syrup may be decreased.
- Bromocriptine because the risk of side effects may be increased by Hydro-Tussin EXP Syrup
- Guanadrel, guanethidine, mecamylamine, methyldopa, or reserpine because effectiveness may be decreased by Hydro-Tussin EXP Syrup
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Hydro-Tussin EXP Syrup may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Hydro-Tussin EXP Syrup:
Use Hydro-Tussin EXP Syrup as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Hydro-Tussin EXP Syrup by mouth with or without food.
- Drink plenty of water while taking Hydro-Tussin EXP Syrup.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- If you miss a dose of Hydro-Tussin EXP Syrup, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Hydro-Tussin EXP Syrup.
Important safety information:
- Hydro-Tussin EXP Syrup may cause drowsiness or dizziness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Hydro-Tussin EXP Syrup with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not take appetite suppressants while you are taking Hydro-Tussin EXP Syrup without checking with your doctor.
- Hydro-Tussin EXP Syrup has pseudoephedrine in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has pseudoephedrine in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 5 to 7 days or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Hydro-Tussin EXP Syrup may interfere with certain lab tests. Be sure your doctor and lab personnel know you are taking Hydro-Tussin EXP Syrup.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Hydro-Tussin EXP Syrup before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Use Hydro-Tussin EXP Syrup with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Hydro-Tussin EXP Syrup should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 2 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Hydro-Tussin EXP Syrup while you are pregnant. It is not known if Hydro-Tussin EXP Syrup is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Hydro-Tussin EXP Syrup.
Possible side effects of Hydro-Tussin EXP Syrup:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Dizziness; drowsiness; excitability; headache; nausea; nervousness or anxiety; trouble sleeping; weakness.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); difficulty urinating; fast or irregular heartbeat; hallucinations; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; severe drowsiness; tremor.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include blurred vision; confusion; hallucinations; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; severe drowsiness; unusually fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; vomiting.Proper storage of Hydro-Tussin EXP Syrup:
Store Hydro-Tussin EXP Syrup at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Hydro-Tussin EXP Syrup out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Hydro-Tussin EXP Syrup, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Hydro-Tussin EXP Syrup is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Hydro-Tussin EXP Syrup. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Hydro-Tussin EXP Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)